• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 different stores, 3 different answers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I asked 3 stores about how much of a concern a PSU temp being raised by 10c, just after a soft reset, would be...

Speedfan is pretty innacurate, don't worry, it'll be fine

10c isn't a big increase, 20c would be something to start worrying about

With an antec TP 380w, known for its caps popping, if they're going to pop, they're going to pop whatever the temp is - even the cheapest supplies' capacitors are rated for 85c - the temp isn't going to speed up the process.

What's your take on these comments? I've been very hesitant to restart for a while now, since the psu will raise its temp 10c every time I do (though it doesn't go above 62 - but have seen it at 67 in summer). This makes testing stuff a real pain, and if the temp isn't really much of an issue, I'd like to hear about it.

I asked 3 stores about how much of a concern a PSU temp being raised by 10c, just after a soft reset, would be...

What's your take on these comments? I've been very hesitant to restart for a while now, since the psu will raise its temp 10c every time I do (though it doesn't go above 62 - but have seen it at 67 in summer). This makes testing stuff a real pain, and if the temp isn't really much of an issue, I'd like to hear about it.

Invictius,

I'm curious know by what method is the PSU temp checked.

Invictius,

I'm curious know by what method is the PSU temp checked.

Exactly. There's no thermal interface between the PSU and your motherboard. There's no data connection for an Antec PSU to communicate to Speedfan. ANY PSU thermal readings from a 3rd party program is going to be numbers pulled out of nowhere.

Only PSU's that come with their own software, like an Nvidia ESA compliant PSU, Gigabyte Odin GT, etc.

How do you explain things like the temp dropping when I leave the pc shut down on a cold night, being hot as hell if I restart in 90f temps, etc? Every other component had been accounted for. I don't know why a temp monitor would just make up an imaginary number from a non-existant sensor...

How do you explain things like the temp dropping when I leave the pc shut down on a cold night, being hot as hell if I restart in 90f temps, etc? Every other component had been accounted for. I don't know why a temp monitor would just make up an imaginary number from a non-existant sensor...

Invictius,

The point is that if there is not a specific sensor inside the power supply for the power supply temperature, then there is no temperature to give.

The photo below gives an example on my system using Everest of a sensor that simply is not there and it reads 39 degrees! Everest, in this example, just makes one up. It has no clue what "aux" is and neither do I but whatever it is, it's not 39 degrees, that's for sure.

Attachments

• Temps.JPG
    Temps.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 118
Maybe the temp sensor is picking up his PWMIC which will run pretty darn hot and they are rated for about 120c. In general it should run 5-10c warmer than your cpu when the cpu is being used. At idle it can be about the same temp within a case with good airflow. But as others have said, if your psu doesnt have a sensor that is being connected to the motherboard, then speedfan cannot tell you the temp of your psu. If you are really concerned about your psu, then get a thermistor and place it inside of it and see what it reports back to your temp controler, if you have one.

The only other possiblities of what temp it is picking up is either your hard drive temp if it has a sensor on it, your vid card, northbridge chipset, southbridge chipset, or even a phantom sensor that doesnt exist but speedfan somehow makes readings for it.

invictius, unless you have opened up your Antec psu and physically installed a temp sensor in it and are reading temps with a Digidoc or something like it, you cannot monitor the psu temps. Like has already been stated here, there simply is no sensor inside the psu and whatever you are reading is a reading coming from something on the mobo or the monitoring program is simply making up some kind of number to fill a spot in their software. I'm inclined to believe that those temps are the pwm temp sensor on your mobo though.

Invictius,

I had the same question you have when I first installed Everest and later Speedfan. I'm wondering "WTF is this" until I asked around. I know it's confusing and a point if bewilderment but pay no attention to that reading as your power supply temp. I uninstalled Speenfan because on my rig, it created more questions than it gave answers. Everest was too valuable a program so I kept it and use it in spite of that unknown it gives.

I don't know why a temp monitor would just make up an imaginary number from a non-existant sensor...

And I don't know why a voltage monitor would make up an imaginary number from a non-existant voltage lead (-5V, -12V, etc.).... but they do.

Maybe the temp sensor is picking up his PWMIC which will run pretty darn hot and they are rated for about 120c. In general it should run 5-10c warmer than your cpu when the cpu is being used. At idle it can be about the same temp within a case with good airflow. But as others have said, if your psu doesnt have a sensor that is being connected to the motherboard, then speedfan cannot tell you the temp of your psu. If you are really concerned about your psu, then get a thermistor and place it inside of it and see what it reports back to your temp controler, if you have one.

The only other possiblities of what temp it is picking up is either your hard drive temp if it has a sensor on it, your vid card, northbridge chipset, southbridge chipset, or even a phantom sensor that doesnt exist but speedfan somehow makes readings for it.

Ok, what's PWM? Pulse Width Modulation?

Back