• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA delays almost all their new products to March

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redrumy3

pulled from XS

http://en.expreview.com/?p=233

Almost all NVIDIA's upcoming products will be delay to March, according to our sources.

Delayed new products including 780a, 750a, 790i, 790i Ultra, and 9800 GX2. All these products should be announced in Feb, 2008. Sources did not mention the reason why NV hold the upcoming releases. And we guess that's because of factories are running into Chinese new year holiday.

The delay will push back the war between GeForce 9800GX2 and Radeon HD 3870 X2. And that means HD 3870 X2 will be the absolutely highest product in the market, continue eating NVIDIA's share for one extra month.

And 790i and 790i Ultra's delay will make them directly face Intel's X48. Also, in NVIDIA's February product line up, only GeForce 8200 will still stick on NV's roadmap, to be released in Feb. But GeForce 8200's rival, AMD's 780G have been released in China few days ago.

We've also reported 9600GT suffering a week's delay from Feb 14 to Feb 21, and its enemy, Radeon HD 3600 series already began selling from Jan 23.

I don't know why, but to me that reads very biased toward AMD. Not looking to start anything, just saying. :)

Well people are forgetting that ATI's will be caught up with the Chinese New Years production shut downs too.
There will probably be an initial short supply of HD3870X2's that will no doubt be priced well over MSRP by
vendors followed by a dry period where ya most likely won't be able to get one at any price that doesn't include
your first born son or daughter as part of the deal.

Viper

That stinks, I only got till March 7th or so to step up.

VJ, any idea on 9800GX2 pricing yet?

That stinks, I only got till March 7th or so to step up.

VJ, any idea on 9800GX2 pricing yet?

From what I understand it's $549.95 MSRP w/ 1Gb per card but NV is gettin' real good at laying down
smoke screens too. A later release and trailing the HD3870X2 could definitely effect that as well depending
on how the ATO's X2 does.

Personally I think ATI is going to win the X2 round at least with the water cooled power users. While NV's
X2 will no doubt be faster than ATI's X2 (assuming driver issues get worked out for both cards) in stock/stock
OC'ed trim, ATI's X2 can be easily water cooled using standard type WB's where NV's X2 design totally
prevents that.

Viper

biased or not, there is one thing we got from that article.

All there **** is delayed. That's just splendid. LOL Gotta wait another 2 months. :bang head

There is nothing new about that. New products are normally released in the last quarter of a year, not in the first quarter
just because of news years type production shutdowns in the far east countries. That applies to all computer products.

Things are changing though with more and more Taiwan/Chinese companies working though the new year holidays now.
They may have reduced staff but many are not shutting down completely like they used to.

Viper

Doesn't help that the US economy is on the verge of recession either. I'm sure both companies are trying to empty as many older cards as possible before scrapping certain models off their lines. The 9600GT and the 9800GTX are going to eliminate 4 or more cards I think.

i lol at that article how ungodly biased it was.

AMD is in a pretty big hole and this little delay from nvidia (and intel on the cpu side of the fence) wont even come close to bringing them back to the top.

ya sure sure their 3870x2 is the best card on the market.... but its using 2 cores... essientally its crossfire for the space limited... i just dont see what the big deal is about that card, the market that a super high end card like that apeals to is literally nil.

ya sure sure their 3870x2 is the best card on the market.... but its using 2 cores... essientally its crossfire for the space limited... i just dont see what the big deal is about that card, the market that a super high end card like that apeals to is literally nil.

You kidding? More and more people are gonna be unhappy gaming at 1920x1200 with modern games. Crysis is not an isolated incident, just the first of a new breed. With prices on big high res LCD's coming down all the time, there is certainly a market for cards like that.

Look at the 8800GT even. For the first few months of release, you couldn't easily find one for less than the price of an Xbox 360, yet they flew off the shelves. People will pay for performance, make no mistake about it.

ok well if you look at survey data it sorta tells a different story.

Ill talk about steampowered's harware survey, lots of us have steam cus we lots of us have games they offer.

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

So far there have been over 1.1 million surveyd, myself included, and if you look at the results the nvidia card used the most its the 8800 series (9.37% of total)the highest for an ATI offering is the ati radeon 9600 (3.27% of total)!

Now to monitors... mainly rezolutions.

acording to the over 1.1million people surveyd (and the survey scans the system, users dont put in own answers) the outstanding rezolutions are 1024x768 and 1280x960. thoes rezolutions ALONE equivilate to 71.52% of the 1.1 million. and if you take a look higher rezolutions (around 1680x1050 and greater) only equivilate to 13.04% (of which only 2.28% are running at 1920x1200)

Note dual or multiple monitor setups acount for 3.69% of the total 1.1mill...

So in the end you have a market in which the most used ati card is a 9600 radeon, and monitors that dont have super high resolutions... i think you get my point.

All in all im just trying to show is that in the real world the market for a super high end card is not much.

How many of those primary display resolutions would be higher if their graphics card could handle it? The resolution numbers compared to the screen sizes don't add up. There's definitely a market for good video cards.

How many of those primary display resolutions would be higher if their graphics card could handle it? The resolution numbers compared to the screen sizes don't add up. There's definitely a market for good video cards.

While GFX card horse power has an impact the simple fact is something like 96%+ of users have a 22"
or smaller monitor. That puts the max native resolution a 1680x1050 for a 16x10 or 1600x1200 for a 4:3.

Viper

Unless the 24-inchers are coming down in price soon (or at least scale reasonably compared with 22-inchers), 22" is gonna stick around for quite some time I think.

There is definitely market for the super high end, but yeah, not that much perhaps. Apart from in the rigs of enthusiasts, reviewers, people with big paycheck or kids with rich parents we won't probably see many of these cards around. But that's what it's made for after all -- super high end market.

Unless the 24-inchers are coming down in price soon (or at least scale reasonably compared with 22-inchers), 22" is gonna stick around for quite some time I think.

There is definitely market for the super high end, but yeah, not that much perhaps. Apart from in the rigs of enthusiasts, reviewers, people with big paycheck or kids with rich parents we won't probably see many of these cards around. But that's what it's made for after all -- super high end market.

The only problem with all the 22"er's is they have TN Panels. I think Lenovo has one with a PVA panel
but it is a business oriented monitor and doesn't even have HDCP compliance.

Viper

That was biased...

They are delaying to reduce costs and milk 8800 sales as has already been stated.

That was biased...

They are delaying to reduce costs and milk 8800 sales as has already been stated.

That is extremely unlikely. Only a marketing idiot would deliberately delay the release of the card that
is the direct competitor to ATI's DC card till roughly 60 days after ATI's is released. NV is anything but stupid.
Besides the X2 are targeted at a different market segment than the G92 GT and GTS cards anyway so bleed
off of sales there would be minimal.

Viper

Back