• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA delays almost all their new products to March

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How many of those primary display resolutions would be higher if their graphics card could handle it? The resolution numbers compared to the screen sizes don't add up. There's definitely a market for good video cards.

not really when you consider the bulk of monitors range from 15-17 inches, thoes outsanding resolusions directly correlate to thoes monitors sizes.

Things are going to change I tell ya. On recent trips to Staples and Best Buy, the smallest monitors on display were 19" 4:3's. Everything else was 19"+ 16:10's, with 1 or 2 models, and the rest 22"-27". It's going to become standard very soon if those 2 (major) retailers are any indication.

edit: Oh yeah, let's not forget the cheap 1080p TV's that have come on the market in the past few months. More and more people going to have those, as well. I have one hooked up to my computer for gaming, but my 'primary' display is a 17" LCD. Steam reported me as 1280x1024 or whatever, but I certainly prefer to game on the big screen. Surely I'm not alone in that regard..

Things are going to change I tell ya. On recent trips to Staples and Best Buy, the smallest monitors on display were 19" 4:3's. Everything else was 19"+ 16:10's, with 1 or 2 models, and the rest 22"-27". It's going to become standard very soon if those 2 (major) retailers are any indication.

edit: Oh yeah, let's not forget the cheap 1080p TV's that have come on the market in the past few months. More and more people going to have those, as well. I have one hooked up to my computer for gaming, but my 'primary' display is a 17" LCD. Steam reported me as 1280x1024 or whatever, but I certainly prefer to game on the big screen. Surely I'm not alone in that regard..

Oh ur definetly not the only one, like you said you cant find displays of 15-17inches any more, but thats what most people still have, the average joe public isnt so quick to adopt new widescreen lcds or 1080p tvs.

im still using a 19inch crt monitor. I have been too scared to leave the tube and glass because of the stories that hear about ghosting, or refresh rate being real low at 65 Hz and it degrades from your gaming experience. But I must say also that My next build is going to involve a 24 inch LCD and that is soon, I hope.

The "UBER" cards, whether they be single GPU or multipel GPUs, with their $500+ price tags are definately a niche market. Even most of us who call ourselves gamers don't see the NEED to spend that much on a GPU. John Q. Public certainly isn't going to buy one.

The market segment these cards target is a very small segment of the over all computing population.

As far as gaming at higher resolutions, the tim ewill come, but it's not today, and it's not really tomorrow either. GPUs and the new games are scaling faster than the users over all systems. It took a coupel years before you could play Far cry on high settings with AA with a single GPU. Same will be true with Crysis.

im still using a 19inch crt monitor. I have been too scared to leave the tube and glass because of the stories that hear about ghosting, or refresh rate being real low at 65 Hz and it degrades from your gaming experience. But I must say also that My next build is going to involve a 24 inch LCD and that is soon, I hope.

I don't know why people say that LCDs are just as good as CRTs, complete and utter subjective bias IMO.

I went for a top of the line Samsung 19" CRT (I had to, went bad) to a 20" LG, and consequently a 24" FHD2400. And let me tell you, if you are gaming the LCDs blow big time!

I will eat my words if anyone finds an LCD that compares to a top of the line CRT, like a Sony 24" WS CRT. Yeah, they are huge, hot, and use alot of electricity but the quality is unmatchable.

Unless the 24-inchers are coming down in price soon (or at least scale reasonably compared with 22-inchers), 22" is gonna stick around for quite some time I think.

There is definitely market for the super high end, but yeah, not that much perhaps. Apart from in the rigs of enthusiasts, reviewers, people with big paycheck or kids with rich parents we won't probably see many of these cards around. But that's what it's made for after all -- super high end market.

Costco is selling a Prinston graphics 24"er for $349 in the store...

Bestbuy just dropped the Hanns-G 28"er from 599, to $549. Both are 1920 x 1200 res.

No thread jack, just confirmation on the LCD prices...

hahah nvidia is afraid of releasing the 9800gx2 and ati will kick their asses in sales because of the price.....

Not going to happen as neither the 3870 X2 and the 9800GX2 are going to be high sales volumes products. Top of the line
cards are only 1-2% for sales for both ATI and NV...always have been. They are both essentially fill in cards (timing is typically
where you would see a refresh card model) between current and next gen GPU tech due around mid year.

The 9800GX2 will have an MSRP of around $549 and may very well be lower with the late release. For the extra bucks you
get a faster card, at least in stock trim, and with twice the memory as the 3870 X2 has.

Viper

Not going to happen as neither the 3870 X2 and the 9800GX2 are going to be high sales volumes products. Top of the line
cards are only 1-2% for sales for both ATI and NV...always have been. They are both essentially fill in cards (timing is typically
where you would see a refresh card model) between current and next gen GPU tech due around mid year.

The 9800GX2 will have an MSRP of around $549 and may very well be lower with the late release. For the extra bucks you
get a faster card, at least in stock trim, and with twice the memory as the 3870 X2 has.

Viper

Exactly, I don't know why so many people put so much stock into these top end cards. Very few people actually buy them.

Viper

Do you advocate waiting for a 9800GTX (or whatever they will call the new high end card) as opposed to the GX2? I haven't heard a single thing about any Nvidia cards beyond GX2, and if the nextgen core is gonna be that much better, I can wait..

Do you advocate waiting for a 9800GTX (or whatever they will call the new high end card) as opposed to the GX2? I haven't heard a single thing about any Nvidia cards beyond GX2, and if the nextgen core is gonna be that much better, I can wait..

To the best of my knowledge there isn't going to be a 9800GTX. If there is it will be current 65nm G92 tech
which is not the next gen from NV.

Viper

Viper

THANK YOU ... thats what i was trying to get to in my earlier post.

To the best of my knowledge there isn't going to be a 9800GTX. If there is it will be current 65nm G92 tech
which is not the next gen from NV.

Viper

Er, so what IS the next gen? If ya know, anyway.. I just assumed it would follow the current naming convention..

Er, so what IS the next gen? If ya know, anyway.. I just assumed it would follow the current naming convention..

Well the next GPU is the G10x (call it the G100 for the sake of argument). As to what it will be called that is a
good question that i can not answer. Since the 9800 line is starting out with a pair of 65nm G92's (GTS flavor)
I would think 9800 is out for the name of NV's next gen cards. I suppose they could be called the 9900
but that would normally be logically reserved for 9800 refresh cards (not likely).

Calling a card the 10xxx seems kinda wordy (and ridiculous IMO) to me.

Viper

Well the next GPU is the G10x (call it the G100 for the sake of argument). As to what it will be called that is a
good question that i can not answer. Since the 9800 line is starting out with a pair of 65nm G92's (GTS flavor)
I would think 9800 is out for the name of NV's next gen cards. I suppose they could be called the 9900
but that would normally be logically reserved for 9800 refresh cards (not likely).

Calling a card the 10xxx seems kinda wordy (and ridiculous IMO) to me.

Viper

maybe they will just call em G100GTX G100GT G100GTS type of deal. who knows only time will tell, as viper is right, it obvious that they are keeping the g92 core for the 9800 series. I am just surprised they havnt done a g92 refresh of the 8800gtx. maybe they will but i think a g92 refresh of the gtx will be a much more favorable card than the 9800gx2 but again only time will tell.

maybe they will just call em G100GTX G100GT G100GTS type of deal. who knows only time will tell, as viper is right, it obvious that they are keeping the g92 core for the 9800 series. I am just surprised they havnt done a g92 refresh of the 8800gtx. maybe they will but i think a g92 refresh of the gtx will be a much more favorable card than the 9800gx2 but again only time will tell.

They may very well use 1000 numbering. Do not think they have ever used it before.

The reason I do not see a 9800GTX is because it would be just to close to a G92 GTS in speed
plus it would be a late release and but heck ya never know.

The 9800GX2 is to replace the out out of production Ultra and to compete with ATI's 3870GX2.

Viper

They may very well use 1000 numbering. Do not think they have ever used it before.

The reason I do not see a 9800GTX is because it would be just to close to a G92 GTS in speed
plus it would be a late release and but heck ya never know.

The 9800GX2 is to replace the out out of production Ultra and to compete with ATI's 3870GX2.

Viper

So for the next 2~4 months it's a 9800GX2 or a 3870GX2?

Some how that doesn't seem enough to me.

if nvidia really wanted to go all out they would make a 9800GTX with a g92 core, but have it run stock at 1.3+ volts for core clocks of around 1ghz, then use 1gb of ddr3 2000 or ddr4 2400ish speed ram with a 512bit buss... that would knock the socks of of anything round.

but i dont think its gonna happen as ati has nothing to compete..

Back