• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Print servers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

Interested in getting a print server for my home.

1 printer and 5ish computers on the network.

Any suggestions? Im completely new to printservers and am kinda green.

Thanks!

I found that my Brother laser printer has a built in print server. Now it just sits by itself on the network and all the computers in the house can use it.

Directjets are popular in the business setting (along with printers that have their own nics).

For a simple print server, just hook it to one computer and share it. That's how I do it at home, and all computers can install it and print to it.

Directjets are popular in the business setting (along with printers that have their own nics).

For a simple print server, just hook it to one computer and share it. That's how I do it at home, and all computers can install it and print to it.

Yea Ive tried doing that MANY times, but encountering some issues.

I figured a print server is the best way to solve the issue.

Here is what I did with the printer sharing. Let me know if I am doing something wrong.

1. Install printer. This is a usb printer
2. Right click on printer and enable print and file sharing.
3. Go to another computer on the network
4. Add new printer and look for the printer and I get errors - cannot find printer.

When I say I have a home network, I believe it would be called a pier to pier network but I am not certain. There is no server. All computer connect to the internet via a wireless N router.

Is there something else I need to do to enable all computers to see each other? They all access the internet with no issues, so I assumed they allready were all "seeing" each other allready.......Im obviously wrong.

Thx!

Last edited:
Yea Ive tried doing that MANY times, but encountering some issues.

I figured a print server is the best way to solve the issue.

Here is what I did with the printer sharing. Let me know if I am doing something wrong.

1. Install printer. This is a usb printer
2. Right click on printer and enable print and file sharing.
3. Go to another computer on the network
4. Add new printer and look for the printer and I get errors - cannot find printer.

When I say I have a home network, I believe it would be called a pier to pier network but I am not certain. There is no server. All computer connect to the internet via a wireless N router.

Is there something else I need to do to enable all computers to see each other? They all access the internet with no issues, so I assumed they allready were all "seeing" each other allready.......Im obviously wrong.

Thx!

don't go through add a printer, use \\(pcname) in a run box, you will be able to find it there. sometimes when you add via the printer wizard some do not come up.

right click on it and hit "connect" and it will install itself.

Back