• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange sound??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Saihossoku

I only used the multiplier in the bios to OC my CPU, everything seems okay, I ran Super PI overnight with zero errors, also ran several OCCT tests and everything is good. But I've noticed that every once and a while my comp will make a strange clicking sound, the sound is identical to the BSOD sound that a comp makes when it crashes, however nothing seems to happen.

Is this normal? Or is it a sign of something set wrong somewhere. I noticed that my RAM is certified to handle 2.1v out of the box, I have it set to auto which I know is lower. Also, I have not touched my voltage for my CPU as well. Also, I have noticed EVERYONE seems to be able to easily get my chip to 3.2GHz with the same method, yet I can't go any higher than what's posted in my sig.

Any suggestions for the strange sound or maybe something I should or shouldn't be doing in my bios? Thanks for any help in advance. :)

:welcome: to the forums!! :D

Can you track down the location of clicking noise? It is hard guessing what is wrong if we don't know the source. :beer:

Clicking might be the wrong description, but like I mentioned, It sounds identical to the sound that you hear just before you get the BSOD or it reboots. Hope that helps a little. Thank you for the warm welcome as well. :)

Clicking might be the wrong description, but like I mentioned, It sounds identical to the sound that you hear just before you get the BSOD or it reboots. Hope that helps a little. Thank you for the warm welcome as well. :)
Well, I've never heard a noise when mine BSOD's ;)

So, I'm not exactly sure what your hearing. It could be the head of your hard drive going back to its rest position.

Oh lol, sorry, I've always heard that sound when I get the dreaded BSOD. It's a centralized click followed immediately by a powering down sound, which for me has always lead the the BSOD, but it doesn't seem to do anything, this is the first time I'm using a SATA HD for my C:\ drive, maybe this is a normal occurrence?

Oh lol, sorry, I've always heard that sound when I get the dreaded BSOD. It's a centralized click followed immediately by a powering down sound, which for me has always lead the the BSOD, but it doesn't seem to do anything, this is the first time I'm using a SATA HD for my C:\ drive, maybe this is a normal occurrence?
BSODs are not normal. Running a SATA drive is not causing the issue, I run 3 SATA drives in a Matrix RAID as my C:\ ;)

Check your SATA cable, it might have a split plug shell. I had one do that when was moving the drive. This caused the heads to constantly home making more of a knock on the older drives. I discovered it by just touching the cable (clunk).

If not the satan cable, and you need to locate it, grab a empty paper towel tube put it up to your ear and just inside the case. Start by aiming it coils near the CPU. Then move to other locations PSU, HD, CDR etc.

Check your SATA cable, it might have a split plug shell. I had one do that when was moving the drive. This caused the heads to constantly home making more of a knock on the older drives. I discovered it by just touching the cable (clunk).

If not the satan cable, and you need to locate it, grab a empty paper towel tube put it up to your ear and just inside the case. Start by aiming it coils near the CPU. Then move to other locations PSU, HD, CDR etc.

Let me see if I understand what you're saying....you want me to check my cabling for rips or cracks, damage basicly? What about the coils?? lol I'm lost all of a sudden. Thanks again.

On sata cabled the plugs are known to slit causing the plug to wobble and create a poor connection.

The coils are on the mobe near the CPU socket. With the current swings a CPU pulls the coils heat up and expand which in some cases they move causing noise. This is mostly heard on the older open style coils where you see the wire wrapped around a Black or Grey ferrite donut. The idea of the paper tube is to pinpoint the source as with all the fans and drived it's hard to tell.

Well, I never figured out what the sound was, however, I purchased some new parts e.g. a new power supply from 550watts to 600watts now, a new Mobo that can handle a better OC, changed my DVD-RW dual layer to SATA and grabbed a 10,000 rpm HD for windows.

So I yanked everything out cleaned it and put it back together, boy was I surprised! Not only is the random crashing gone, but the sound is gone as well! Also I wasn't able to get a stable OC with the ASUS board, only around 3.01GHz, with this new board I managed 3.31GHz stable! With air cooling!! lol I can go higher most likely, my vcore is only at 1.40v and I hold a 52C at peak and around 39C to 42C idle!

So all in all, I'm glad I did what I did. Now it's on to OC my GPU. :drool:

:attn: If you ever want your sound back , put your old PS back in :D

Not that it's a bad supply , but it has 4 separate +12 volt rails , which divides up the +12V amps , which will give you problems if you overload just one output ;)

That's my story , anyhow , and I'm sticking to it !

Back