• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't access second HDD! Kind of urgent

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grs

The PSU on my FreeNAS server died so I want info from one of the drive and I placed into another PC, this is the first time I've actually used more than one HDD in a PC. Anyway, Windows sees that there are two drive present (with in Device Manager) but it won't show up in Windows Explorer. Is there something I have to do? The jumpers on the second drive are set to slave with master present.

Right click my computer, click manage, go to disk management, select the volume you want to access, give it a drive letter (assuming that it has a windows compatible file system... which I have doubts (FAT16, FAT32, NTFS) and there you go ... I think

If it was a FreeNas drive, it is most likely a Linux File System. You will have to use Linux to mount the drive. I dont think Windows will be able to mount it, but I dont know a lot about linux so you will have to wait for someone who does.

I think it must be using a Linux Standard, under management it says Healthy (GPT Protected Partition), if I right click on it all the options are greyed out.
I'll have to get a new PSU quickly.
If I change the mobo on a FreeNAS system do I need to reinstall the OS or can it handle the change ok?

I forgot about the live CD, I can mount it in the desktop and work on it from the laptop. Thanks for that!

I've tried the live CD and I can't get the drive mounted (I may have forgotten part of the process!) There is already info on the HDD that I really need to get at, is this going to be a problem?
I don't know anything about running Linux which doesn't really help.

Back