• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need rig to last as long as possible.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Disabled
Heres pretty much what I need. 790i? Quad, 8800 GTS, and some good crucial ram. Case will be 3d aurora 570. I am also looking for either 2 raptor raid or some 7.2k's in raid 0.

The GT is just as good if not better than the GTS. Go with the GT and save $150.

Quad, it depends on what you're going for. Low performance quads like the Phenom aren't going to be doing well when quads become standard.

The case is up to you but if you want to go SLI in the future, as well as running a quad, I suggest you go with a larger PSU, like 700 - 1000WATTs.

any computer will last you a good 20-30 years, but whats important to know what you will be using it for. If its games, then even the top of the line computer today will not be able to play 2-3 years from now. If its apps, do you need quad core? do those apps use all four cores?

I think you are better off buying the middle of the road stuff now and upgrading every few years instead of trying to make something last forever. IIf you want something to last as long as possible I'd go with dual quads, 5TB of storage, 8gb of DDR3, and quad 8800 Ultras. Of course this setup would run you about $10,000 but it would be the longest lasting sytem you could build.

Or...you could spend $1,500 now and spend $1,000 for the next 8 years and always have a top of the line PC.

The GT is just as good if not better than the GTS. Go with the GT and save $150.

Quad, it depends on what you're going for. Low performance quads like the Phenom aren't going to be doing well when quads become standard.

The case is up to you but if you want to go SLI in the future, as well as running a quad, I suggest you go with a larger PSU, like 700 - 1000WATTs.

I think he's referring to the 8800GTS-512 which is nVidia's latest card and is basically a GT w/ more SP's, better cooling, and a better OCer. And it's only about $30-$50 more than the GT.

You must be thinking of the previous generation 8800GTS-320/640 which is based on the older G80 core. It tends to be over-priced in the market right now.

nVidia's naming scheme is not the best.

@D2H
I was looking at a nice 800 watt modular psu earlier. Ill look for the link. And no, I hate AMD, and especially their slow and expensive phenoms.

@LilBuddy
nah thats too much lol lets not exagerrate it, all i need is a 1700 dollar rig to last long

@D2H
I was looking at a nice 800 watt modular psu earlier. Ill look for the link. And no, I hate AMD, and especially their slow and expensive phenoms.

@lilbuddy
nah thats too much lol lets not exagerrate it, all i need is a 1700 dollar rig to last long

"low preformance quads like the phenom aren't going to be doing well when quads become standard"

I know :p.

You're always going to have newer and better hardware being released frequently. No matter what you do, your computer is never going to be totally top-of-the-line. Just because your hardware may not be the newest, if it's been released in the last year or so, it is going to be supported by hardware and software alike for at least another 2 years. Besides, $2000 is not going to get you a top-of-the-line PC.

If by "last for ever," you mean not break down, you can be sure that your hardware, if in good quality, should last at least 7 - 10 years. By then, you'll have purchased a new computer anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

ok. if you want the longest lasting hdd on the market right now look into an ssd drive. its about $1,000 for 32gb.

other than that higher rpm drives will probably die faster than their lower rpm brothers just because of the wear the bearing are taking. i would guess the same with larger hdd's with heavy plates. i haven't really looked too far into this though.

Hard drives are no concern to me. They are cheap and easily replacable. Thanks for the idea, but a drive costing more than half my budget for a meer 32 gb is not enough.

Q6600 or e8400 & MX-2
Foxconn MARS P35 MoBo
TR U120E w/ 115CFM Panaflo & Sunbeam Rheobus fan controller
Ballistix DDR2-800 4x1GB
Seagate 250GB 410AS HDDs
8800GTS-512
Corsair 520 or 620 PSU

I know you can always wait longer and something better will be out however,
in april they are bringing decent price drops to the intel chip if you can hold off till then you can get some really decent hardware

(myself i dont think i could wait until then but some are more patient then me)

Jason, what do you think about this?
Q9450
790i
4 gb pc-6400
hard drive, ill take care of that later
8800 GTS 512
that nice 750 watt modular psu i found

790i isn't out yet, and I haven't seen any reviews yet. It might be great, but I don't know. The P35 boards do the best w/ quads right now, but the Q9450 isn't out yet either, so that is a tough call as well. I wouldn't go 790i unless you're planning on SLI now. If your planning on going SLI later, then you might want to reconsider. A better one card solution will probably be out by the time your ready to buy that next GTS.

So, far it's looking like the 45nm quads won't get you much more speed than the 65nm quads, and the Q6600 is a lot cheaper than the Q9450. It's a tough call, but the Q6600 is a better bang4$ option right now IMO. We'll just have to wait for the official release before my opinion might change.

HDD: Seagate 410AS 250GB...get a couple in RAID0 for very nice bang4$ performance.

750W? The PC P&C?

I know you can always wait longer and something better will be out however,
in april they are bringing decent price drops to the intel chip if you can hold off till then you can get some really decent hardware

(myself i dont think i could wait until then but some are more patient then me)
My system is 5 years old p3.4 with a new AGP video card and i play all the new games like Crysis, UT3, Need for Speed ProStreet, so they do last a long time.

april sounds good

Back