• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can't delete file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Menardsguy

I'm running windows xp...
I was donloading a video in morpheus and wanted to see a preview of it so I renamamed the .dat file to .avi... Now I can't delete the .avi file... Windows says that the file is in use... The file is on my 80gb drive so I don't want to reformate it since I would have trouble backing it up. I reformated my OS drive (raid ones) and still can't delete it... Also my file system is NTFS so I can't see the drive in msdos. Any one have any ideas?

I remeber someone saying there was a DOS OS that could see NTFS partitions, but I can't remeber the name :( Mabey somebody else?

EDIT: I think I found it... NTFSDOS. It's an executable that will allow DOS to see NTFS partitions. From what little I read, you should be able to just make a DOS boot disk with this on it, and after running it be able to access your drive. Check out this: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/NTFSDOS.shtml

JigPu

Last edited:
no clue why this happens to me, but it happens often. when i'm downloading something in IRC, i have the same problem. a quick fix that i figured out is to close the program that you were downloading the file with, attempt to open the file inside of windows explorer, close it, then PoW..... it will delete w/o a problem. note that you can't just close the program that you downloaded the file with... i have to try opening it in windows explorer before it will let me delete. who the heck knows. i'm starting to hate xp :mad:

I just got it to delete. I went into "safemode with command prompt" and I deleted the file. I still don't understand why I couldn't delete it in normal safemode or even when i reformated since no programs were even installed yet. Very strange.

blame it on XP, i do :D never experienced anything like it until i installed this os.

did you try ctrl/alt/del to open up task manager, and killing the process that was using the .avi file? this should have done the trick...plus let you see what app was using it, and why...

p.s. don't hate XP...it doesn't hate you :D

p.s. don't hate XP...it doesn't hate you :D

lol... i know, i know.... and i was so proud of the comments section of my grade-school report card.....

..works and plays well with others, and his operating system... :D :D

just go into taskmanager and start ending stuff till you can delete it

Back