• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i386 or x86_64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hivens

I want to download fedora 8, ive got a core2duo dual core CPU, so which of the following files should i go for?

i386 - Install DVD
x86_64 - Install DVD
ppc - Install DVD

Thank you!

I do not run Fedora, but the install options for all distros seem similar. If Fedora follows suit, then:

i386 - Install DVD
will be a generic intel architecture setup ... in general, this is the most compatible version

x86_64 - Install DVD
will be a 64bit (vs 32bit) version for intel architecture ... somewhat less hardware friendly as some users have difficulty finding good 64bit device drivers

ppc - Install DVD
will be a PPC processor (that is, the PPC processor unit used most notably in pre-intel apples) specific version ... NOT what you want.

Just go i386, as karlpell said its more compatible, the rare occasions where 64bit is faster on desktop are lost because of more time spent fiddling around. If you got 4GB RAM or more use i386 BIGMEM kernel, its almost like having 64bit without any of the disadvantages.

the only downside to using x86_64 is possibly the absence of 64bit Flash... there are plenty of very easy workarounds, like nspluginwrapper.

I'd suggest x86_64 (some distros call it 'amd64' even tho it works with intel processors too).

64 bit all the way

I use 64 bit on two out of 3 machines and the only reason I dont use 64 on that one is cause its a XP cpu but I would if I could.

Make sure it's a Core 2 Duo and not a Core Duo (the first is 64 bit, the latter is 32 bit). If it's a Core 2 Duo it will work fine with either the i386 or the x86-64 / AMD64 builds.

Not really much advantage to 64 bit though if you don't have a lot of memory. Memory access is more efficient on a 64 bit OS than using the i386 32 bit workarounds, but it's not a huge diff.

Back