• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing new DDR2...help :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

I am having to build the finance a new computer so that she can game on it (what I really mean is that I am going to nab the new one and give her mine lol). I am going to pick up the Abit IP-35 Pro along with a E8400. Only problem is I have no clue on what ram to get. Would like to be able to OC pretty well, but not looking to set any kind of record. I do have one strange request and that is if anything on the Tigerdirect site is decent. Only reason I ask is because I have a store next door to me and my friend gets me stuff for cost.

Ty
-JS

I am having to build the finance a new computer so that she can game on it (what I really mean is that I am going to nab the new one and give her mine lol). I am going to pick up the Abit IP-35 Pro along with a E8400. Only problem is I have no clue on what ram to get. Would like to be able to OC pretty well, but not looking to set any kind of record. I do have one strange request and that is if anything on the Tigerdirect site is decent. Only reason I ask is because I have a store next door to me and my friend gets me stuff for cost.

Ty
-JS

finance/fiancee = fruedian slip? :p

Go either G.Skill or Crucial on the RAM. Since the E8400 can OC pretty decent might want to think about DDR2-1066, but should be able to get away with slightly OC'd DDR2-800 just fine. They are probably the same thing anyway.

2x1GB: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1558870&CatId=2261

Darn good price. Are you looking to go 2GB? 4GB? Dimm count? I'd probably suggest 4GB and 2 sticks myself. Having trouble finding G.Skill on Tiger's site.

2x2GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231148

I don't know of Crucial making a 2x2GB kit yet.

I personally have 2 kits of 2x1GB for a total of 4GB. Don't have a need for anything more right now. Getting the 2GB DIMMs takes a hit on performance llike you would imagine. But then you only have 2 sticks to reach your 4GB instead of 4. (4 sticks takes a bigger hit than 2) I haven't had any trouble OC'ing my 4 sticks though.

All depends on how much you can budget for. XP vs. Vista is important too. If you are just going to do XP, 2GB is probably fine, if Vista I'd go 4GB. The 4x1GB (2 - 2x1GB kits) is at an excellent price point right now but will limit your upgradability in the future (which may/may not be much of an issue). That being said, there are few users who can even take advantage of 4GB, and an even smaller percentage who can even come close to needing 8GB.

Also, if you decide to go 4GB you'll want a 64bit OS.

Lots of choices I know. Your safest bet would probably to get the 2x1GB Crucial's since they are at Tiger for you, and a proven brand/OC'er. I few people have been having defect issues with them, if one of them bumps in here and tries to convince you to go to G.Skill, that's fine, but from what I can see you'll have to leave the comforts of Tiger.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Lol less of a slip and more of the auto spellcheck fixing things it shouldn't have. Its kind of interesting how similar the two words are though....Coincidence? I think not :p.

Lol well I have just about given up on grabbing any of the new stuff. The Tigerdirect retail store had none of it in and even Newegg has failed me. Does not have the cpu, cooler, or even the gskill ram in stock.

Sometimes you got to shop around. If you can get free shipping it doesn't matter how many different stores you order from.

Back