• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does XP's boot/shutdown slow /w data

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Right now my Asus Eee PC boots in about 19 seconds flat but as soon as I put openoffice, steam and warcraft III on it, that 19 second boot is now like 26 seconds.

Why? Just curious if there is something specific that loads during boot causing it to take much longer.

Thanks, ps2cho

Thats your punishment for removing linux and installing Windows. :)
I guess I'll help him then. :rolleyes:

It loads items at startup. Do a "msconfig" in the run window and deselect items in "Startup" and "Services" tab. ;)

Warcraft III shouldn't run anything at boot time, but Steam definitely phones homes/loads a daemon, openoffice probably phones home for updates.

I would say startup but it could be an over half full hard drive.
If your hard drive is over half full, that will slow the system down also.

I would say startup but it could be an over half full hard drive.
If your hard drive is over half full, that will slow the system down also.
Can you explain why? That doesn't make sense to me...

I have no clue why it happens, but from my experience over the last ten years, the more crap you have on the Windows hard drive, the longer it takes to boot or find a file for you to open.
It may not be as prevalent with todays faster hard drives but it still happens none the less.
I have run into this many times with over half full Windows drives. People complain about the PC running slow, I use a disc copy utility to copy the drives contents to a new drive that's at least twice as big and then the PC dramatically gains more speed.
Anyway, that's just my experience.

I have no clue why it happens, but from my experience over the last ten years, the more crap you have on the Windows hard drive, the longer it takes to boot or find a file for you to open.
It may not be as prevalent with todays faster hard drives but it still happens none the less.
I have run into this many times with over half full Windows drives. People complain about the PC running slow, I use a disc copy utility to copy the drives contents to a new drive that's at least twice as big and then the PC dramatically gains more speed.
Anyway, that's just my experience.

Fragmentation, perhaps? And maybe it prefetches a fresh list of drive folders and files especially if a window's open. Not sure if Windows does that or not but I've also noticed the problem as well.

Does fragmentation occur in SSDs? like in the EEE?
Unless the drive writes in such a way that it is sorted, I would assume it does. The seek times are so fast and there is no real delay for fragmentation on those I believe.

Last edited:
XP's boot time is a mystery to me :shrug:
My old install on my Opty 165 system (WD2500KS as HD) was about 2x faster then my current setup on boot, even on a completely fresh install.

just throwing this out there, i've had boot time increase when i've oced to high. i don't know why it would do that but when in theory it should be faster it ends up being slower. if that makes any sense, but i would say msconfig and defrag would be the best way to possibly affect your boot time. it could also possible that some of those apps also add services to run automatically, if you know which ones they are, you could set them to manual instead of automatic.

May I suggest CCleaner if you haven't got it you can scan for reg entries that are not needed and it will delete them also offers a back-up system before hand. Scans and cleans temps folder and old internet pages and can also show you whats in start-up and you can delete links that are not needed there.

And also a services check as suggested above to see whats not required to start that can be put in manual

Weird but true observation: load more programs, have more files on the boot drive and things eventually slow down.

1. MFT - could be that the master file table is fragmented (it keeps track of files on the drive) - use diskeeper to adjust the size
2. use ccleaner to remove temp files and to keep registry clean - i find it saves space but doesn't make things faster
3. run services.msc and see what's running - know what to turn off but be careful
4. run msconfig (start -> run) and disable as much as you can, especially those stupid check for updates!)
5. can you hibernate on the eee?

Hibernation on the EEE works fine but unfortunately the battery drains very, very fast for some reason.

On my Macbook the battery can last for over 4 days in 'sleep' mode, but on the Eee it discharges overnight...

As for the slow bootup, as everyone recommended, clean the temp folders, check registry for errors and defrag the SSD ;)

Back