• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got $100 BestBuy card, what to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

F1F2F3F4

So I had this card since new years. I can't figure out what to buy. If you had $100 gift card at best buy what would you get? I just need ideas.

same, I got a $50 card I cant seem to put to use. The main problem is I don't like best buy.

--pak

Walked around the store today. I didn't like anything under $100. BUT! The Samsung 226CW cought my eye and a WD Raptor. Of course they cost more but hey I get $100 off.

Still can't decide.

Your best bet is to buy price-fixed stuff like new video games and consoles, subscriptions (XBL card?) or that sort of thing.. You can and should wait for sales as well.

Save it. I've been saving a $25 card I have for ~ 6 months now. I'm waiting for SPORE. I'll save it for another 6 months and then bam!

That will fetch you one printer cable and a pack of gum. :beer:

If you're lucky. My mom just bought a printer at bestbuy and I just told the guy no thanks i'll get one online for a couple bucks. Turned out the cable cost a whopping .99 plus shipping.

lol i personaly HATE Worst Buy! (BTW whoever came up with that term thanks I love it) I would just see If I could sucker one of my friends to buy it off of me for $100 lol but thats just me :beer:

about the only thing i would buy is an HDMI cable or 2 ... those sucka's are too expensive, anywhere ... i dont like Worst Buy

about the only thing i would buy is an HDMI cable or 2 ... those sucka's are too expensive, anywhere ... i dont like Worst Buy
Huh? Retail stores are the absolute worst places to buy cables. They'll charge you $40-$100 for an HDMI cable that you can get for $20 online.

Oh, and seriously on the BBY gift cards... you can sometimes catch a HD on sale, iPods, consoles, *some* media - those things are competitively priced.

I was in the same situation a few months ago and blew $100 on a Western Digital passport drive. I didn't have a specific need for the drive, but I had the gift cards for a long time with nothing better to buy. I used to buy a lot from Best Buy and make weekly visits to their store.... not anymore.

I thought I could put my BB gift cards to good use by purchasing some DVD-DL media... Boy was I wrong. I dropped in at lunch, and it turns out that their DVD-DL media is marked up to almost twice as much as what one can get it for from Newegg (free shipping). DVD-DL media is expensive enough as it is without BB's ridiculous price premium. I guess I'll wait for the next big game to come along before using the gift card.

I would look around the store. Last time I was in the US I saw a shelf towards the back of the store with new never opened 120gb WD passports for $70 on clearance, nothing wrong with them.

I walked through BB the other week just to see what they had in the way of computer parts, and I think at most i spent like a minute glancing at the junk they were trying to sell at premium prices then walked out. At most, use it to buy a game or something fixed price as stated by ratbuddy

Huh? Retail stores are the absolute worst places to buy cables. They'll charge you $40-$100 for an HDMI cable that you can get for $20 online.

to me its a free hundred bucks ... and frankly BB has NOTHING i would buy ... dont like the store, the prices or product selection ... so ... the only thing left is sell it or buy some cables ... lol ... besides there isnt anything they have that you cant get cheaper online or elsewhere

to me its a free hundred bucks ... and frankly BB has NOTHING i would buy ... dont like the store, the prices or product selection ... so ... the only thing left is sell it or buy some cables ... lol ... besides there isnt anything they have that you cant get cheaper online or elsewhere
Yeah, but their cables are marked up so much that it's ridiculous. I agree that no matter what you buy from them it can be found cheaper elsewhere, but buying cables there is like throwing your money in the garbage. As others have suggested, movies and games are some of their more "reasonably priced" items. Occasionaly I have seen some reasonable deals on UPS units and hard drives though, so if you need either of these things you might want to take a look.

Just wait till stuff goes on sale, that's when the stuff is basically at online prices. Either that or keep in mind when monitors or HDD"s go on sale they're usually 10-20% below online prices. Plus if you have even one bad pixel you can return it and have a new monitor the same day, unlike online retailers.

Come on guys, BBY doesn't pretend to cater to enthusiasts, don't hate them because they don't. They're the guys that pay school/the bills(TM)/ and for my shiny new 8800gt :D

Back