• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6 Core Dunnington Preparing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When 4 is somehow not enough...

...can't go smaller? Can't get to much faster? ADD MORE CORES!

http://www.overclockers.com/tips01261/

6 is more than 4 and 4 is more than 2!

(Dunnington lol such a lame name too)

Link is appreciated :)

Let me be the first to dub this a HEX, yeah go HEX's!

This would probably be a good place to mention that only 5-7% of all Intel users have a quad core.

Well my other two cores are doing SOMETHING. I honestly just think it's an excuse for anyone who went dual instead of quad! :D

It's up to software now to start taking advantage of all the cores in an efficient way.

Pretty obvious silicon is coming to a wall in the current architecture implementation regarding clock speeds. Hopefully they find a new kickass material soon.

Lol @ Sexcore

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/23/intel-readies-six-core-chip

Eye yes a 6 core CPU for the Nehalem architecture later this year.

I dont think thats quite right. Its the last of the FSB driven CPUs before Nehalem.

the last of the expected Core 2-based Xeon server chips before it switches over to the Nehalem microarchitecture capable of supporting eight or more cores.

Intel has reportedly put three dual-core 45nm Penryn chips on a die the size of a postage stamp and sharing a 16MB L3 cache. Like other Penryns, Dunnington still uses a front-side bus.

Either way, sounds good :D wonder if we will see a desktop version..

great, so its essentially just another dual core added to a 45nm Q6600. Can you imagine the heat that thing will pump out.

my only care for this chip is the chance it will make duals and quads even cheaper

great, so its essentially just another dual core added to a 45nm Q6600. Can you imagine the heat that thing will pump out.
If you look at the power data for the 45nnm process it’s conceivable that 3x 45nm cores = 2x 65nm cores in power consumption terms.

my only care for this chip is the chance it will make duals and quads even cheaper
This will have zero impact on desktop CPU prices as it’s for high end servers as I stated previously.

cant they just settle at quad core...and keep releaseing higher mhz''s..

its like i just upgraded to quad core...and a few months they start talking about a ....dual 3 core thing

cant they just settle at quad core...and keep releaseing higher mhz''s.. its like i just upgraded to quad core...and a few months they start talking about a ....dual 3 core thing
They’re not talking about a 6 core desktop CPU it’s for Servers with 4 sockets for 24 total cores. That might sound a lot but at the high end 24 cores is just getting started; still good for a 4 socket system though.

IS THIS CLEAR NOW, THIS IS NOTHING TO DO WITH DESKTOP CHIPS.

Core Trois! is the reason I guess Intel never released the tri core. j/k

The hexacore will be a xeon but drop two of them into a Skull trail and watch the bones fly! :drool:

They require a different chipset as they are for 4P servers; no use for Skull Trail.

There is always hope, just look at the 865 chipset! It follows the path of the 440bx chipset. It was used for way more then planned for because it worked so well. Who know maybe we will see dual motherboard for these chipes using the P35 chipset or so.

There is always hope, just look at the 865 chipset! It follows the path of the 440bx chipset. It was used for way more then planned for because it worked so well. Who know maybe we will see dual motherboard for these chipes using the P35 chipset or so.
The CPUs are designed to work with a chipset that supports quad FSBs so don’t expect to see these running with a 945G chipset on a mATX ASRock board. The aren’t even designated as LGA771.

The CPUs are designed to work with a chipset that supports quad FSBs so don’t expect to see these running with a 945G chipset on a mATX ASRock board. The aren’t even designated as LGA771.

I didn't realize they weren't LGA771, that might make it just that more difficult. But the old Xeons use to run on the 865 chipset on the 604 socket even though the 865 was designed for Northwood "B" chips. Heck you even found Conroe's running on the 865 chipset way back when.

Back