• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial and DEAD BALLISTIX TALE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theELVISCERATOR

Well I just got off the phone with Crucial, and they WILL issue an instore credit now that they are discontinuing the BAllistix DDR line....(wonder why).

The credit is a juicy 60x2 for 120.00 US instore.

Which will buy you a brand new set of DDR2 PC8500... 113.99.....

meh seems fair to me...

Good luck getting through however.....email RMA request was 3 to 5 biz days! :eek:

Credit for what store? I just requested RMA for Ballistix Friday and they came in today.

credit at the crucial online store.........

so basically I get to upgrade to PC8500 for free.....

this was ram for my old IC7 Northwood system...but I guess I will have spare to add or build another one..

I just did the email rma thing today with a coupla tracer ddr500 sticks. I could care less how long it takes, as long as I get something back :D

Larry

Just curious...did you guys have to provide proof of purchase to Crucial for these RMAs?

Invoices for some of the older DDR1 stuff might be hard to locate.

Wait, are you saying that if I have some dead DDR1 Ballistix modules (PC3200) that have been sitting on the shelf for several months because I'm tired of getting them replaced (I'm on my 4th set), I can now RMA them to Crucial for credit instead of replacement??? Even if I bought the modules in 2005? Is the credit in the amount of the original purchase price ($180 for 2x512MB in my case!!!), or the current "market value" for the modules?

Looks like the OP got $60 per stick, but at $120 for the set, that's 66% of your purchase price...not a bad deal and certainly more than you can get for them in the Classifieds. :)

...and terran2K, thanks for that reply re: proof of purchase requirement. Once you get to a certain volume, it sometimes gets difficult being able to identify a particular set of sticks to a particular invoice. Good to know that I don't have to dig thru files to find the right one, should the need arise.

Looks like the OP got $60 per stick, but at $120 for the set, that's 66% of your purchase price...not a bad deal and certainly more than you can get for them in the Classifieds. :)
I don't see where the OP specifies whether he had a 2x512MB kit or a 2x1GB kit. It the credit is $60 for each 512MB stick, then that's fantastic! If it's $60 for a 1GB stick, that's well below the current market value for DDR1.

EDIT: Looks like DDR1 value RAM is going for about $60/GB, but enthusiast memory is still much more expensive.

I found this thread and was woundering how many others had problem so this is what I found.......
i have ballistix tracer 1066(the double side models) and i have found the heat spreaders on these sticks start to come off at the bottom due to heat and they are only fastened on the top with a very tight metal clip which squeezes the top resulting in the bottom pulling away from the chips so..... the heat spreaders start working as insulation blocking air flow to the chips.
I took mine out removed the clips and bent them slightly then put them back on and pushed the heat spreaders back on to the chips. That was a few days ago and all seems well. I think that this memory is great but it does run alittle on the hot side. Just a little fyi:beer:

I don't see where the OP specifies whether he had a 2x512MB kit or a 2x1GB kit. It the credit is $60 for each 512MB stick, then that's fantastic! If it's $60 for a 1GB stick, that's well below the current market value for DDR1.

EDIT: Looks like DDR1 value RAM is going for about $60/GB, but enthusiast memory is still much more expensive.

You're right, he did not specify what size sticks he had to RMA.

I just RMA'd my 2x512mb kit of pc3200 ballistix and they gave me 70$ credit for them. Too bad I actually wanted a replacement -_-

In my experience Crucial RMA is great. I sent out 2 1gb sticks (one sided) that died on me after less than a month on stock use, after about 10 min on the phone they had all the information for x-shipping, and the lady on the phone said she will make sure I get the old style ram in return. I sent out the old stick the next day. 3 days later I had my replacement ram at my door, older version, double sided PC6400C4.

And now about week and half later, my credit card had a refund for the X-shipping of the ram.

I love these guys.

Back