• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blueray player?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DerekDRP

Disabled
When we're on the trip I was going to go to the stores like best buy, comp usa, and so on too look for a blueray player and since Florida has no tax I could get a nice one.

I was thinking about buying the PS3 for the blueray player.

PS3 is nice because it is a Bluray player by software. That means they can update the code and add features at any time, making it (in my book) THE best player out there.

That isn't even mentioning it is faster than anything out there...PLUS it can play games and fold. I love mine :)

PS3 is nice because it is a Bluray player by software. That means they can update the code and add features at any time, making it (in my book) THE best player out there.

That isn't even mentioning it is faster than anything out there...PLUS it can play games and fold. I love mine :)
fold eh? Nice. And yeah I was thinking the ps3 since all most all bluerays are going to be the same price unless the box will com out with a blueray player.

Since you have a 360 I would wait to see what the price of the 360's Blueray player will be. My guess is it will be a very competitive price ($130-170) and it should be out within 1-2 months.

"since" runs away fast.

???

i'm confused...are you trying to make a pun, or trying to correct his spelling?

because SENSE is correct in the context that he put it.

aka: My eyesight is a sense. I have common sense.

vs. Since...

ever since the HD-DVD failed, everyone expects blu-ray to drop in prices. ( not quoting anyone here, or making a valid argument. just showing some examples of how each word is used ).

If your post was supposed to be a pun...sorry i didn't get it.

???

i'm confused...are you trying to make a pun, or trying to correct his spelling?

because SENSE is correct in the context that he put it.

aka: I eyesight is a sense. I have common sense.

vs. Since...

ever since the HD-DVD failed, everyone expects blu-ray to drop in prices. ( not quoting anyone here, or making a valid argument. just showing some examples of how each word is used ).

If your post was supposed to be a pun...sorry i didn't get it.
Oh well I goofed once again no worries "move along move along, Nothing to see here"

I wouldn't bank on BluRay for the 360. I also wouldn't bank on a BluRay player or PS3 price drop. You're not going to Florida for 5 months, sit on it and wait and see what happens, son't get all worked up with anticipation. My vote would be for a PS3 as a BluRay player, anything else wouldn't make sense, especially for a "gamer".

I wouldn't bank on BluRay for the 360. I also wouldn't bank on a BluRay player or PS3 price drop. You're not going to Florida for 5 months, sit on it and wait and see what happens, son't get all worked up with anticipation. My vote would be for a PS3 as a BluRay player, anything else wouldn't make sense, especially for a "gamer".
You make a good point.

Do you really think that the X360 will actually install a Blu-Ray player in it? I highly doubt that. They are talking about a stand alone unit like the HD-DVD drive where if you'd like to buy one you can.

And when thats the case the PS3 wil still be the best option for a Blu-Ray player, due to its updatable player compared to the stand alone player.

Do you really think that the X360 will actually install a Blu-Ray player in it? I highly doubt that. They are talking about a stand alone unit like the HD-DVD drive where if you'd like to buy one you can.

And when thats the case the PS3 wil still be the best option for a Blu-Ray player, due to its updatable player compared to the stand alone player.

The 360 HD-DVD drive was updateable and I had to frequently download for it as I was prompted when inserting certain movies.

Until a 360 BD drive emerges, it is still rumour and speculation.

However, the chances of a 360 shipping with one built in are remote to nil.

Yeah I agree with you, I was talking about a standalone player. If it is standalone it can still be upgraded with software on the Xbox 360 itself. Sure it is not confirmed, but I could have told you MS would be coming out with a BD player attachment the day everyone could see the writing on the wall about HDDVD. MS has no ironclade allegiance to Toshiba and HDDVD. MS has always gone where the market goes, they generally follow instead of lead. For the doubters, you will eat your words in 3 months or so. It would be rediculous for MS to NOT come out with a BD player for the 360.

Eventually Bluray will no longer be synonymous with Sony, it will be like DVD is today (by the way DVD was a Toshiba standard originally, called Super Density Disc). No one thinks of Toshiba when they think of DVD. I just think there are people who get it in there heads that Bluray and Sony cannot be seperated. The format war is over, let the Bluray goodness spread.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with you, I was talking about a standalone player. If it is standalone it can still be upgraded with software on the Xbox 360 itself.
Yes, the software on the player can, that won't introduce new features etc...the Bluray player on the PS3 is completely software, so anything can be updated easily.

i think engadget just want some hits on their site. i dont think microsoft will have a bluray player out in 4 months. buuuttttt if they can they should and as fast as possible. because there should be games enough for ps3 to justify a buy(mgs4, little big planet) and the blu ray might make people buy a ps3 faster than a xbox. if xbox has a blu ray out they take out all reason to buy a ps3 over a ps3 in capabilty, well as long as the price is right that is. still 4 months is a little fast.

It may seem fast now for where we are now, but I bet MS saw the writing on the wall, like a lot of folks did after Paramount and Warner switched to BRD exclusively. It is probably something they have had in the works for some time now.

Had PS3

I had a PS3 as a Blu-ray player and loved the fact that it folded. Ultimately I sold it and got a Sony Blu-ray player. The reason? The womenfolk had issues with it not behaving quite like a DVD player - and when they did get it to play a movie OK, they tended to forget to set it back to folding. I will use the money gained from the sale of the PS3 to upgrade my PC to a quad and get more FAH points. The PS3 should have a folding option where folding runs in the background, or is the default action when someone leaves it in movie mode and it times out.

Back