• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sub on carpet floor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quadcore86

I have a Z-5500 Sub, and I'm wondering if it is safe to place directly on the carpet? The placement will also be near some HEAVILY loaded extension chords (say 1ft away).

it won't hurt it, might muffle bass a little but nothing terribly noticeable. 1ft is far enough away to prevent a lot EMI as well.
The worst that's going to happen is slightly degraded sound quality, nothing I would worry about honestly.

I have had a sub on carpet and on tile, I noticed a little difference in the muffling effect but not much. I noticed a bigger difference when placing the sub in the corner of a room.

What about heating and risk of fire? I heard that these subs get very hot and need ventilation etc?

What about heating and risk of fire? I heard that these subs get very hot and need ventilation etc?
...I've never heard of a sub even getting above ambient.

Maybe from friction, but no way that will start a fire.

:sn: edit: Oh yeah, the amp is on it. No, unless you cover up the heatsink.

...I've never heard of a sub even getting above ambient.

Maybe from friction, but no way that will start a fire.

:sn: edit: Oh yeah, the amp is on it. No, unless you cover up the heatsink.

Yeah, I have the z5400s, and even though the z5500s have more wattage I doubt your in danger. My screen gets hotter then the heatsink on the amp half the time.

Yawn.

You will not get cancer from cat5, Your sub woofer will not die if it on the carpet.

Yawn.

You will not get cancer from cat5, Your sub woofer will not die if it on the carpet.

LOL you saw that thread too huh? I may start making a list in my sig of things like that, starting with these two.
edit: K. quadcore86 Im not making fun of you, just for future users. but if you want me to remove it just ask :)

Last edited:
My Z-680 sub has sat on carpet for about 3 years now and the heatsink only gets warm to the touch. It has never become hot enough to burn the skin.

Back