• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old member returning to SETI and the hobby

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silver_shad0w

Registered
Hello everyone!

I'm returning to forum "active duty" after a long break. I've finally decided it was time for a new rig, so this is the first place I always look. I can't login with my original username silvershad0w, some might remember me by that. Mostly I hung out on #ocsetiteam and I wrote a few articles for the frontpage long ago.

Right now I am running a Shuttle XPC that I built about 4-5 years ago and its way overdue for replacement. I did go ahead and put it on the new BOINC client until I get the new rig parts and build it. I really like the new client and its easier to setup than the Setispy/driver stuff. Too bad our stats site looks like its defunct. I can't import my old WU credit because I lost the password/email acct for that as well :(

So, the new rig is a Q6600 and it will be my HTPC/cruncher and desktop machine. I'm hooking the video to the TV (PC will be in a closet behind that wall) and a long cable will run to a 22" LCD on a monitor swing arm next to my lay-z-boy. First time I'm attempting a setup like this, I'll let you know if I like it.

Lastly, I was browsing Cyber Deals and saw THIS. Couldn't resist, so that will be 2 Q6600's. Less than $650 with tax and a 24" monitor!

Welcome back. Those quads are definitely the best bang for the buck crunchers right now. We actually have a few guys working on a new site. See this thread for details. As far as stats go there are several places to get them. I use SETIatWork's stats page. That link will take you to our team page with your stats determining the "days to overtake" column. Your stats wont be very accurate for up to a couple weeks due to SETI triple checking results.

Thanks for the welcome's guys. What happened to the old stats page? I guess after 'classic' was over and BOINC started it probably needed a complete redo. For now the new one looks like it's coming along very nicely, a CMS, stats script, and a lot of image and color work, plus tons more I'm sure.

Looks like a lot of good competition on the team, it won't be easy to keep up with some of you that's for sure. Kicking out >20,000 credits/day is just... unmatchable for a guy from home like myself I think. That's what I call pace setting... My Athlon XP looks like it -might- be able to break 300 a day if it's lucky.

This will be my first Intel build for a personal rig since my Pentium 266 MMX (Socket 7). I have been building AMD's since the "super 486" - the 5x86 133MHz. It feels like a betrayal to my nature, but the price/performance advantage is just not there anymore.

:welcome: back!!! It's always good to see returning faces! :)

Thanks for the welcome's guys. What happened to the old stats page? I guess after 'classic' was over and BOINC started it probably needed a complete redo. For now the new one looks like it's coming along very nicely, a CMS, stats script, and a lot of image and color work, plus tons more I'm sure.
In addition to the SETI@Work page linked earlier there's also BOINCStats, which has a LOT of information about users, hosts, and teams. Just click the graph icon on the right side of a user to get more information about them and their rigs.

Our Team website is slowly getting worked on in bits and pieces. We'll get there eventually. :)

Looks like a lot of good competition on the team, it won't be easy to keep up with some of you that's for sure. Kicking out >20,000 credits/day is just... unmatchable for a guy from home like myself I think. That's what I call pace setting... My Athlon XP looks like it -might- be able to break 300 a day if it's lucky.
I've got a 2100+ still crunching. It turns in 250-300 RAC (recent average credit) if it's just crunching SETI. Did you also install the optimized SSE app from Crunch3r's page? It'll increase your RAC a little. ;)

This will be my first Intel build for a personal rig since my Pentium 266 MMX (Socket 7). I have been building AMD's since the "super 486" - the 5x86 133MHz. It feels like a betrayal to my nature, but the price/performance advantage is just not there anymore.
I understand your feelings completely - the last Intel I built was a 486DX2-66! Alas, I am currently assembling and testing a Q6600 myself. It took many months of waiting & agonizing to make the step and even then it took seeing the RAC of a couple of Phenoms to finally convince me. If s939 boards and RAM were cheaper I would stick with them and occasionally I still find good deals on parts and snatch them up. But that's a rarity so, as you pointed out, a budget-built Q6600 is now cheaper then the AMD systems needed to equal it. A sad situation indeed but hopefully better for all of us in the end ... :)

Well I got the majority of the parts for the Q6600 rig yesterday and spent the evening assembling it and installing the OS. I'm still missing the case and the CPU cooler, so I put it together in an old Antec and used the stock HSF. Tonight after some stress testing I put the client on and optimized it. No RMA's/DOA's means when I get to rebuild this in the permanent case I can lap the CPU and HSF for better temps and 'customize' other stuff. :D:D:D

Hi Careface, thanks for the welcome!

The new rig is going good so far, going on 2 days crunching, but still at stock speeds until my new cooler comes in. I am in the process of trying to get BeyondTV to work on Vista x64(unsupported) and it is proving difficult. This system is also my HTPC. I tried Media Center, great interface but not enough functionality atm. I need more than two tuners and several different channel lineup support.

Back