• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer trouble... HALP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Van Aerial

I recently decided to try and building my own computer since my old one (Sony Vaio Desktop) was just about to break. Since I'm a student at a college, I figured it would be cheaper to build my own computer plus a nice little side project to keep me busy during break.

Unfortunately, it's keeping me a little too busy.

I purchased a shuttle barebone system and after setting it up, I turn on the power... Loud squealing. Turned it off, turned it back on, same squealing. Decided to call it a day.

The next day, I figured out that I didn't plug the power source into the video card. Did that, plugged in monitor, turned on computer, Fans start up... Nothing.

At first I thought it was the video card, so I swapped out the video card but to no avail.

After searching high and low on google, I stumbled upon this forum. I read on the "Help my PC won't boot" guide that the motherboard should give out some beeps to help diagnose the problem and that the computer should at least boot with only the CPU, RAM, and Videocard. So I took out the HD, Card Reader, and DVD Writer, plugged in my speakers, turned on the computer... nothing... No beeps or anything. This time the fans wouldn't even start up

So now I'm pretty much desperate. I'm close to just caving in and going to a computer repair store, maybe geek squad, but I'm not even sure if they'll help. I'm also worried that Shuttle support wouldn't even help at all (if they do at least... I just don't really expect customer service anywhere to be good.)

Long story short.. Help?

Here's what I have:

Chassis:
Shuttle SX38P2-Pro
http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/SX38P2_Pro.html

The Shuttle came with a motherboard, cooling system, and power supply.

Essentials:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz
Corsair XMS2 (2 x 2GB) DDR2 Ram
EVGA Geforce 8800 GTX (Swapped it out for a GeForce 8500 GT)

Other Stuff:
Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10K RPM Sata HD
Seagate Barracude 500GB 7200 RPM Sata HD (Didn't install this one yet.)
Pioneer 20X DVD+-R DVD Burner IDE

I'm starting to think that it's the processor or the motherboard. I'm getting pretty bummed out for a first time computer builder... So anything advice before I decide to let geek squad take over (if they even do such "repairs.")

I would test the power supply. I doubt that PSU is of any great quality. That GTX pulls quite a bit of power and may be too much for the PSU.

:welcome: to the forums.

Did you try booting it with one stick of memory?

While I agree with LilBuddy that the PSU is probably not up to the task, it should at least post with the proc/mem and vid card.

I would call Shuttle support about the issue before you go to geek squad. Its possible its just a bad board or PSU.

Always call product support first before looking for other options like geek squad.

If you're willing to continue troubleshooting this problem, you should be able to narrow it down. I agree with the comments above, that this is most likely a PSU related issue. See if you can't test all of your components with known working components. Another PSU to swap? Alternate the ram sticks in their slots, (take one out...then swap it for the other). Try each of these components in a working system. Try running the psu in a different system and see what happens. Most likely causes of your issues are a bad power supply or a bad motherboard.

Thanks guys, I'll definitely give shuttle a call once I get all my info in order. Until then I'll try swapping out the ram and see what I can do.

Back