• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

multiuser computing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

Does anyone have experience with multiuser software for windows?

I am looking at one program right now that lets you run up to 5 users on one PC.. just need videocards and usb ports to add users(and usb sound, for each station)

I tried the trial before but installed it on 64 bit OS so it did not work right.

What I am looking at is replacing my sisters P4 2.4GHz 512MB rambus system, and giving her a "workstation" that will be running as the main user of the HTPC I am building her.

Currently
e6550 3150MHZ stock everything. stock cooler running on silent setting
4GB Gskill DDR2-8000 ram running below stock.. (900ish i think)
2x320GB perp drives. unraided
ASUS p5kc
Antec 550W PSU (was going to be a temp PSU, but its performing very well)
2600Pro

Installed in AV rack under TV. HDMI to TV as secondary monitor but the one that I will drag media center too.

Soon to add

1600 or 1800 hauppage HDTV tuner
750GB hdds (one for now 3 more later unless 1TB drives come down to the 100 buck range) for BR rippage
second video card for users 2 and 3
BR once the decent ones drop below 100.. although 150 is certainly tempting. may go so far as to wait for a burner, although i doubt it for at least 2-3 years.. I have DVD9 burners now and still never bought dvd9 media to burn :p

Primary monitor, keyboard mouse will be run to a workstation on other side of living room. Thinking about down through floor to basement... and back up but I think i will need to make my own video cable then.. more on that in another thread. This will serve as my sisters workstation as well as being the control center for the htpc.

She does not do anything "intense" except maybe needing RAM. Very little CPU usage etc so i am hoping hte dua lcore is enough for HTPC and one user.

What I want to do is start adding stations (and a quad core CPU) because we have 6 kids here on weekends and more often during the summer. Webkinz has created a near constant stream of "can I go on the computer next" in this house. I do not just want to add stations to reduce the pestering, but because Webkinz has a "buddy" social networking aspect to it, and we do not let them add buddies except each other, I figure this is a great way to get them involved in that and involved in proper internet behavior. I wish I could give my kids a PC to take home to use, but unfortunately that is not an option.

Does anyone have any experience in this field that would make it easier?

I am looking at BeTwin software right now. This is basically something that has been done on Linux for a while, but Linux is not an option for this setup (would really like it to be though cuz LinuxMXE looks awesome).

The only other thing I can think of, is to try doing the same thing within VMs, ascribing a single USB K/M sound to each VM, in fact i imagine that this is probably how the betwin software works... but not positive.

I realize that there will issues with a single OS drive powering multiusers.. but I think once I add enough users I can move each of their "temp" folders to individual drives and that should reduce the stress on the main drive...

I really wish that betwin had a 64 bit option.. but it doesnt. 1 or 2 quads and 8GB of ram would make a nice house PC :) Ideally (since im the only gamer) I would like a an overclocked dual quad system with 8GB of ram a half dozen SSDs with one good card for me, the 2600pro for hte htpc and maybe same level for everyone else. (Internet games and maybe a little Zuma etc) but that involves more then the software can handle right now

I have been thinking about this since.. about august last year, finally have the money to invest in a few LCD screens to start making this happen..

So..

Any tips/suggestions? Anyone else try running betwin software?

Thanks

Back