• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my psu dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Th3 F4ll3n P1mp

Disabled
Is my psu dead?! I just built this system (right side of sig). It doesnt boot, no post, no bios, no fans powering up or anything. Is it doa? I have added a 320 gig hard drive, a plain old dvd burner and...yeah thats it. Its an earthpower 430. Any ideas? If its doa, ill just newegg rma it, and is it possible to get a higher wattage one?

Both 20+4 pin connected as well as 4pin 12V connectors plugged to the mobo? Any LED light on the mobo to show power going to it? Power switch plugged on the correct pins? Tried shorting the black and green wires on the 20+4 pin connector to turn on the PSU by itself?

I know its simple stuff, but its always gotta be asked. :p

Both are plugged in, but no light on the mobo. I thought it could be that the mobo doesnt have a light. I plugged the correct pins etc etc. Ill try the shorting though, but im kinda scared to get zapped. Been electrocuted plenty of times already lol. Burnt with a cold cathode once, too, cooked my finger meat good...

Edit: What should I use to short?

Btw, yeah psu switch is on lol.

Just be sure to have it unplugged and you don't get shocked. Just grab the 20+4 pin and look at it with the clip facing upward. On the upper left side the 3rd pin should be a black wire and the 4th pin should be a green wire. You can use like a paper clip and just stick it in both of those pins. Then plug the PSU back into the wall. flip the switch to on, and if it functions at all you'll see the fans inside of the PSU spinning.

Ok, thanks a lot. Just to get this straight, the - is on and the o is off, right? Or is it the other way around? I never remember lol...

Also, try another power cable. I had a system "die" like that. I just happened to change out the cable and it started working.

What do you mean another cable? From another psu? Another cable from same psu? This psu has only 1 of each cable btw.

Oh lol. I was using the one from my 1kw psu. I took it out of my good rig and plugged it into the new one because I didnt want to unpackage the other one. I plugged into the new pc and nothing. Back into the 780i pc, and it boots fine.

Damn, I just tried something right now...
What I did was plug in the 24 pin connector to my 780i mobo, and it worked!!! The PSU is fine! However the mobo is another story...when I plugged in the psu to the p35 mobo, no LED, no boot, no nothing. Should I RMA the mobo then?

Before you RMA, tear your system down to basics. Disconnect the drives, take out all RAM and just use one stick that you know for a fact works. Remove any expansion cards you may have installed. Use a known good video card. Make sure everything is connected correctly. Clear your CMOS, remove the battery and disconnect all power cables from the motherboard for a few minutes to an hour or more if necessary.

O = Nothing
I = Something.

have you tried jumping the black and green wires on the ATX connector?

Yes, and it works fine. Nothing is wrong with the psu. I think the problem is the motherboard, because when I plug in my other psu (the 1000 watter) the mobo doesnt boot, and doesnt have an LED on the mobo, or doesnt do anything other than sit there... :( RMA time for the mobo?

Yes, and it works fine. Nothing is wrong with the psu. I think the problem is the motherboard, because when I plug in my other psu (the 1000 watter) the mobo doesnt boot, and doesnt have an LED on the mobo, or doesnt do anything other than sit there... :( RMA time for the mobo?

Are you sure the little connector wires feeding from your panel's "on-off, reset" switches are correct? Some of them are tough to see and figure out.

Yeah those are fine, I tried them in every position possible (not kidding). Also, when the psu has power going to mobo, isnt there supposed to be and LED indicator to show the mobo is getting power? If it is supposed to have one, then the mobo is screwed because it doesnt have any LED.

Back