• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

I have a question about my power supply. I know no video cards are available yet, but I wanted to buy a new power supply so that I could run an AMD 6800 XT card when they are available and the price has normalized (hopefully middle of next year). I have checked Newegg for cards and all the cards I have looked at say they require an 850W power supply. As you can see from my sig, I have a 750W. I checked on Newegg's power supply calculator, and with all the components it let me put in, it said I only needed 471W (so maybe a 600W to allow for headroom). My question is, do I go with the recommended wattage and buy an 850W or do you guys think my 750 will be ok? I don't want to fry any other components by having a PSU that doesn't work with a new video card. Would 750W allow for overclocking (since Newegg thinks I only need 471W) even though the recommended is 850W?

Our computers honestly use MUCH less power than we often think. 750W is enough to run a pretty serious rig, but I'm sure others will chime in on this. Me personally, I'd run any consumer CPU + any single GPU on a good, high-quality 750w psu. And so a bit of overclocking too.

I agree with Ben, your EVGA 750w PSU should be fine for your build.
I just got a new 750w PSU for my X570 build. Looking to get either a RX 6800 XT or a RTX 3080, whichever I can buy at retail.

Your 750W PSU will be fine. The RX 6800 XT uses the 2x 8 pin power connectors and your power supply has multiple of these and provides more than enough power. You are good to go.

I've got the same PSU and run an overclocked i9-10980XE along with a Strix 3080 (320W+). You'll be fine with your system and a 6800xt including overclocking as these fine gentlemen above have already said. :)

Thanks everyone. I won’t buy a new PSU then. It’s good to know my PSU is good enough.

750 is more than enough. Honestly I would bet a fat stack of cash you could run that with a 650. I bet you could overclock it and still run it on a 650W PSU.

Back