• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

broken cores?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heavy1

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering how many of you have cracked the cores of your chips while putting the fans on?

My first tbird 1gig suffered that fate and since then I still get nervous as hell putting the fans on.

Heavy

Cracked

Always be easy when installing the Heatsink, never put pressure on top of the unit, pressure is only applied to the clips.
-& don't forget the thermal paste!-dis the tape if it's there.:)

...if I had a nickle for every "OMG I think I killed my T-Bird!" post, I would be a rich man today! You are not alone my friend. Many a member here has lost cores to bad heat sink designs, bad luck or what I like to refer to as "other stuff". Which usually means "I'm gonna get this heatsink on if it kills me!" :D

Thermal's suggestions are correct. I'd add that if you're trying to install or remove an HSF inside a case and you don't have enough room...STOP.

Take the time to undo those easy IDE connectors, PCI cards, etc, remove your Mobo, and install outside the case where you have plenty of room around the socket.

WillysNut said:
...if I had a nickle for every "OMG I think I killed my T-Bird!" post, I would be a rich man today! You are not alone my friend. Many a member here has lost cores to bad heat sink designs, bad luck or what I like to refer to as "other stuff". Which usually means "I'm gonna get this heatsink on if it kills me!" :D

Thermal's suggestions are correct. I'd add that if you're trying to install or remove an HSF inside a case and you don't have enough room...STOP.

Take the time to undo those easy IDE connectors, PCI cards, etc, remove your Mobo, and install outside the case where you have plenty of room around the socket.

Yes, definetly remove the mobo from the case. Or atleast remove the PSU. I usually have to do that with mine it only has a half inch between the PSU and Heatsink.

chipped the corner of the die on my 1000 when I tried putting my FOP38 back on after lapping. Still runs at 1200 (its throttled back due to RAM instability).

how do u ppl tell your chip is cracked/crushed or whatever? is the damage obvious to see?

if you know what to look for it should be pretty obvious - i didnt even realize i broke mine til i took it in and the guy at the comp store pointed it out to me. take a look at mine here. notice the top corners. it was a sad day :(

Heavy

Never damaged a core in my life. haven't played with any XPs yet, but I've swapped many Durons and T-birds. I can swap a processor in about 5 minutes, which includes cleaning the ASII off the old processor.

One thing that is REALLY useful: motherboard trays. My case has one, and it makes swapping processor very simple. Just undo the cables to the expansion cards and mobo, undo six screws, and slide the tray out. So simple. I love it.

Xach said:
how do u ppl tell your chip is cracked/crushed or whatever? is the damage obvious to see?

A "lump" in the thermal paste is usually a good indication.

I've chipped the corner on my 1.2 T-BIRD, fortunately it still runs at 1.4+.

Good Luck!

oh yeah, crushed the corners of a Duron 800 then it's backup 750 on my first try at mounting a Thermaltake Mini Super Orb. Nice little lesson in motherboard physics at the bargain price of two CPUs. Nearly shot the system a couple times, just to work off the rush...

(note to self: move gun to BOTTOM of tool case)

I chipped my 1.2 also, still runs fine at 1.4. Had it at 1.45 for a while but moved it back since my HS is only OK. It looks prety bad, chipped all along the top but it's a trooper. I don't understand how some chip slightly and die while others can take a major whallop and keep going like nothing happened.

My 1000 has chips all along the top of it and ridges as well!!!

But it runs at 1300 with Defauolt Voltage, my mate knackered his chip when he had the tiniest crack!

Its all down to the chip.

got an old axia 1.2 with chips in 3 corners running tight currently back at 1.2 in a friends office system.Even with 3 chips this baby ran stable at 1.53

When I saw the first chip I was scared to death the second chip i saw i figured oh well if she is dead i deserve it.

at the third chip i said to myself no big deal this axia loves the smaller die !~!!!.

I would recommend the Alpha 8045 because it screws in, and is hard to wreck the cpu because of this. I hadn't installed a heatsink on a socket A chip, and hte 8045 was first one and I had no problems with it at all, and it's sels for about $40.

Slick.

Wa11y said:

One thing that is REALLY useful: motherboard trays. My case has one, and it makes swapping processor very simple. Just undo the cables to the expansion cards and mobo, undo six screws, and slide the tray out. So simple. I love it.

Trays are really useful. I have to take out three ribbon cables, two screws and the ATX power connector and the fan cable. Nice 'n' easy.

Bristolian said:
would chips or cracks not raise the cpu temp?
chips or cracks would make the cpu not work at all....unless your are one of the lucky few and it still works after you chip it but thats rare

i chipped my 1.2 tbird, i think i am gonna make a key chain out of it :)

i also have a duron 900 that is chipped now, but still running :)

i just purchased a couple shims, cause i wanna save my duron while i can, and when i get my rma for my xp i dont want to mess it up..

heck i remember going at my heatsink one day, i was determined to get it off, i had my leatherman opened up iwth the pliers ready to go and screwdriver.. boy did i get it off.. :)
but that is the one that eventually got chipped :)

now i am careful. to lazy to remove from case though :)

hey drdingo21 i am from Warsaw, i work up in Goshen!

pogue1000 said:
i chipped my 1.2 tbird, i think i am gonna make a key chain out of it :)

i also have a duron 900 that is chipped now, but still running :)

i just purchased a couple shims, cause i wanna save my duron while i can, and when i get my rma for my xp i dont want to mess it up..

heck i remember going at my heatsink one day, i was determined to get it off, i had my leatherman opened up iwth the pliers ready to go and screwdriver.. boy did i get it off.. :)
but that is the one that eventually got chipped :)

now i am careful. to lazy to remove from case though :)

hey drdingo21 i am from Warsaw, i work up in Goshen!
really? where at?

Back