• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5K3 DELUXE + Intel QX9770

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MORFO13

Hello...(First post here)
Hopping someone can bring any light to this problem.

First I check with asus if this mb supports this qx9770 and that was a yes.

Then, I upgraded my p5k3 with a qx9770 a couple of days ago, first I upgraded the bios to version 1001 (the latest from asus for this mb), then I installed the cpu and here is the problem:

The startup screen shows a message stating that the cpu is not recognized and the bios needs to be upgraded, but must of the time I can't start the computer, It get stock before the startup screen so I cannot acces the bios or anything else so I have to restart it so many times until I make it work again.

I red that this cpu is having compatibility issues with intel p35 chip but asus seems to know nothing about it.

Thanks in advance for any help on this problem.

I don't know anything about board but you could try clearing cmos if that bios suppose to support that cpu.

Thank's for the advice "dfonda" I'll try it this evening and let you know what happened.

By the way, does any one knows which are the regular idle and load temperatures for this "qx9770"

mines are:

idle: 57
Load: 63

I'm not overclocking or anything sience I just got this cpu last week, but I think is a little bit too hot (my cpu fan is zalman and the thermal compound is zalman too) + 2 chassis intake fans on the front 1 outake on the top and 1 on the back.

Thank you again...

That's too hot for idle. What are you testing the load with TAT? Do you have it working now..seeing as you know the temps?

If you are still having problems with booting check that your HS/fan is seated correctly. That would cause the problem you describe in your first post.
Is it the stock HS/Fan?

How did you apply your thermal paste?
If you used a lot..try using less.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

Keep us up to date that CPU is worth more then everything in my sig.:)

Last edited:
DFONDA...
I'm using a zalman cnps9700 nt cooler and the thermal paste is zalman too and I applyed it according to the instructions on the cooler.
I will remove the cooler and I will apply a diferent thermal paste this evening.
I'll check that the cooler is seated the right way and I'll let you know what happened with the temperature.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Bye.
:beer:

Last edited:
Dfonda and everyone else...

UPDATE...

I re-install my hs/fan using a diferent thermal paste with no results :bang head
The boot problem is still there
I disabled the q-fan controls in bios (now fans are running at full speed) and
the 56c Idle cpu temp is still there
The mobo temp idle is 43c

Now...
1.- I just noticed that my qx9770 is rev C1 and asus show in the list only rev C0 as supported.
2.- The message of "not recognized cpu" still apears at boot screen.
3.- The bios recognized the cpu as x9770 and not as qx9770 as Ai-suite does, I don't know if this is normal or not.

Maybe the temp reading is not right 'cos a software bug, or something related to bios not comunicating with cpu the right way, but my only choice right now is to wait for a new bios update from asus before I oc this baby.
By the way I try to downgrade the bios from 1001 to 910 but now I have to use afudos and is not supported by windos 64 bit editions :bang head
I guess buying a 64bit os was a very bad desicion.

Any way, If you or anyone else can give me some extra info in this matter is gonna be appreciated and I hope my experience with this cpu will help anyone in the future.

Thank you much...:beer:

Update #2

Hello Everyone...

Just to let you know that there is a new bios file version 1014 from asus that solved my boot problem, now the cpu is fully recognized by the bios file. (Great news for me).
The temperature showed by bios is still high at 55c to 58c Idle, I still would like to know if this is normal for this cpu or not, so if someone has this mobo and cpu config please let me know your temp reading for the mobo and cpu.
Thank You much...
:beer:

Hi,
I've had the same problem with temperature... I have a p5k3 deluxe and Q9300... my temperature is like Morf013 said, my bios version is 1014! I would like to know the real CPU temper. 'cose 55c idle.... it's impossible..

thanks everybody!
"sorry about my bad English... I use to speak Portuguese"

Last edited:
Firstly, BIOs will never give you an idle temperature, only somewhere in between full load and idle. On top of that it only gives you a single "CPU" temp, which generaly is the IHS temperature, so it will be lower then your core temps, so don't bother using BIOs to measure your temperatures.

What you want is RealTemp to monitor your individual core temperatures from within the OS, as far as idle temps go there are numerous threads and other stuff about temperature sensor problems on 45nm Intel CPUs, I'd start by reading them. The RealTemp thread on xtremesystems forum explains alot.

Back