• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Overclocking Software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bonehunter

Hi,

I just built a new PC and am considering Overclocking.

I'm going to read through the guides on how to do it, but the one thing I am unsure of is what software to use.

I have the following:

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W
Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)

Asus Striker II Formula nForce 780i (Socket 775)
PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

2 x Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5
1066MHz Dual Channel Kit

BFG GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI
(PCI-Express) - Retail

With the Mobo comes a set of software called ASUS IA Suite which allows you to overclock. Also you can use the BIOS. The NVidia Control Panel & Systems Monitor also has full Overclocking capability. Add to that the fact that many guides suggest Rivatuner.....

Which should I use? I have no-idea how to overclock properly yet and not sure which software option to go for?

Thanks.

why did you not read the guides before buying?
like buying a ferrari before having your 1st driving lesson

anyways, there is no software for overclocking, you adjust in bios, read the guides, you'll see that
software to stability test
prime95 latest version can do 4 cores
coretemp to monitor temps

try vcore 1.4v 8x400 for 3.2ghz starting point

you didn't mention cooling
what cooling do you have

also a pointer, asus mobo driver software installation is not great, let windows search the driver disk rather than running the asus install autorun

Over Clock in the BIOS ONLY !!! NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use software it NEVER works any way !

Over Clock in the BIOS ONLY !!! NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use software it NEVER works any way !

It does work if you have it configured properly as that is how I found out I could get 4+ ghz suicide shots...

If you HAVE to overclock with software don't expect more than 15% unless you have the pci bus locked... It is just a much better idea to overclock through the bios.

Hi,

I just built a new PC and am considering Overclocking.

I'm going to read through the guides on how to do it, but the one thing I am unsure of is what software to use.

I have the following:

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W
Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)

Asus Striker II Formula nForce 780i (Socket 775)
PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

2 x Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5
1066MHz Dual Channel Kit

BFG GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI
(PCI-Express) - Retail

With the Mobo comes a set of software called ASUS IA Suite which allows you to overclock. Also you can use the BIOS. The NVidia Control Panel & Systems Monitor also has full Overclocking capability. Add to that the fact that many guides suggest Rivatuner.....

Which should I use? I have no-idea how to overclock properly yet and not sure which software option to go for?

Thanks.

:welcome:Bonehunter
I wouldnt claim to be a seasoned or experienced OC'r myself, but I'd recommend you do a lot of reading first. Just to understand the basics of how it all works. There's soooo much info and guides just on this forum alone (do a search on OC guides for your mobo, also the guys here have posted some links for you). Your board bios settings are easy to follow and once you know what everything is and does, then you can start to have some fun (and blow s#*t up)... nah not really.
Remember to take it slow and dont go for gold on your first go. Take gradual steps, test for stability then move up from there until you reach the peak of your set-up. Using software to OC (like AI), I wouldn't recommend it. Although I did use it when I first started with varying degrees of success, it was never a stable OC or always a bit on the 'iffy' side. Also keep away from the Nvidia OC control panel, it always gave me grief. Get a stable OC first then move to your 9800, and yes you can use Riva for that (its always worked well for me.
Good luck on your journey

It does work if you have it configured properly as that is how I found out I could get 4+ ghz suicide shots...

If you HAVE to overclock with software don't expect more than 15% unless you have the pci bus locked... It is just a much better idea to overclock through the bios.

Well I would NEVER recommend any one OC with software it is unreliable and unstable . If you think it is fine then that is your opinion I do not happen to share that thought at all .
So I will stand behind what I have said 110% you will not sway my thoughts on this . sorry . :beer:

Wow,

Thanks guys. I do need to do a lot of reading. I have a grasp of the basics but like I said I was unsure if i should use the BIOS or the software that came with the board.

I did notice that the BIOS has a full OC'ing section.

Now then, same question again but this time aimed at the Graphics card - do you OC through the BIOS or again via software?

The Fan I have is Tuniq Tower 120-LFB CPU Cooler which so far I haven't figured out how to adjust via settings. It does have a speed switch on the back that you can turn up and down manually.

The case I have is Coolermaster RC-1100 Cosmos S "Sport" Silent Full Tower which seems fantastic for OC'ing, just possibly need to add more fans.

Last edited:
With the graphics cards you want to use software like reva tuner or ATI tool to OC the video card . As if you have a "bad" bios flash you can destroy the card forever .

Yea people saying not to use software for overclocking I'm sure mean to say just not for CPU overclocking, as graphics card stuff is best done with software like rivatuner, atitool etc.

+1 for not using any software to overlcock your processor.
I messed around with Nvidia Ntune and Asus AI suite and found them to be nothing but a pain and never could depend on them to be stable.

I usually only oc by BIOS but sometimes I use software, particularly microguru for abit board. On my old rig (the oc'd one) I have sempron SoA 3000, abit AN7 and thermalright si97 sink and microguru is fine. I don't trust any other oc software though as have had stability probs and often give false info too from temps to fan speeds. BIOS is always accurate and microguru always seem to be as reliable as BIOS to me, also I can change voltages as well as fsb. I think you can prob get a similar app for other boards (mine is old soa amd so doesn't apply here).

Back