• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock Cooler...really good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lokitexas

I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127325 for my latest build.

I am very pleased with it. In fact...too much. I went to this card from my 2 7950GT's SLI'd. Now I was using Thermalrights HR-03's coolers on both the 7950's, in passive mode. They worked great and stayed cool w/o the fan.

Now I was sort looking for a cooler upgrade for my 8800GTS. I even heard the HR-03's work on them. Well...the stock cooler is doing great. Its not loud, and seems to keep the card cool...which is odd. I am always ready to rip off the stock coolers on GPU's because they are usually loud and dont cool worth a damn. So...before I toss these HR-03's in the classys am I right in my thoughts? Is the stock coolers on this 8800GTS perfectly fine?

I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127325 for my latest build.

I am very pleased with it. In fact...too much. I went to this card from my 2 7950GT's SLI'd. Now I was using Thermalrights HR-03's coolers on both the 7950's, in passive mode. They worked great and stayed cool w/o the fan.

Now I was sort looking for a cooler upgrade for my 8800GTS. I even heard the HR-03's work on them. Well...the stock cooler is doing great. Its not loud, and seems to keep the card cool...which is odd. I am always ready to rip off the stock coolers on GPU's because they are usually loud and dont cool worth a damn. So...before I toss these HR-03's in the classys am I right in my thoughts? Is the stock coolers on this 8800GTS perfectly fine?

Yep, it's good enough, unless you are voltmodding the card. AFAIK heat isn't the limiting factor to OCing those things.

The stock coolers are not too bad if you run them at >75%, then it can get a bit noisy, the HR-03 is a great cooler and will enable you to run it < 50C and thus give you more OC potential.

Back