• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torn. XFX Vs EVGA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SF101

The Printer Guru
well. today is the day the Intel reliability wasn't so reliable. i did a bios update it went wrong and now i have a dead Intel board and not able to recovery bios it.. there for ill be buying a new mobo today hopefully given i get some solid info on these new xfx and evga boards.

Its been quite awhile since i OC'd. :( sadly i strayed lol.
so im quite out of touch with the Whos who of OCing. ive seen good things posted about the XFX EVGA offerings but still wondering which of the 2 are best.

I'm will be going with the 790I and some DDR3 to go along with it seeing i cant use my DDR 2 in those boards :(.

but anyways i plan on getting the 9900's when they release later this year so I'm getting a good solid DDR3 board now therfore i won't have to worry about having the right board later on.

but i don't know what to get. I want to Over clock with this board which is why i come back to overclockers.com (missed this place in intel board land) I'm currently using a Q6600 and have a EVGA 8800GTS card.

which one so far is getting the nod around here?

a coworker of mine bought the evga 780i and is having massive raid breaking issues with it .. is this common of all the nvidia boards?

Dunno anything about the raid on these boards, but both the Evga and the XFX are the same board. Only difference is the brand.

Lots of ppl choose Evga, others go with XFX. It's all about the warranty/price.

so they are the same .. all i need to look at is warranty and price? cool.. easy enuf.

heh its been awhile man.. im rusty with this stuff. before it was just DFI / ABIT or ASUS for choices lol. and really all of em were good enuf.

wow my wallet just cried irl
Item Description Part # QTY
Price

Ext. Price
OCZ XTC SLI Ready OCZ3N2000SR2GK 2GB DDR3 2X1GB DDR3-2000 CL 9-9-9-28 Dual Channel EPP Memory Kit
29622 1 $274.99 $274.99
EVGA Nforce 790I Ultra LGA775 ATX DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 RAID Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard
29031 1 $369.99 $369.99

hehe.. well i got it all. my raid 0 is toast :( even with my RMA'd intel board it wouldnt rebuild properly.

BUT anyways nearly finished with this windows install.
running some boink on this already have the mem bumped to 2000mhz and the CPU got bumped to 1333 aka 3.0ghz .. 35-38*C on air right now .. full 100% load.

also .. this hopefully will never happen again to me because i manned up bought a C2D cpu for that Intel board and got 2 x 1TB hdd for it a nice case ect.. and will be making a home file server on it. going to raid 1 the 2 drives and download everything directly to it instead of my main rig .. aswell as make ghost images of all my pc's (4 others) and then no more windows installs for me ever again.

Back