• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock b760m itx 13700K Very low Cinebench Score of: 17,120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andycorleone

Registered
Hi, I just bought a intel 13700K but I'm getting Very low Cinebench Score of: 17,120 for multi core. My board is a Asrock b760m itx d4 with Latest Bios and Default Settings. What can be wrong?

hwmonitor screenshot while running cinebench, anything unusual?

sc1.png
sc2.png

Well, the power delivery on that board (one of the cheapest around) is paltry at best... 5 phases (with likely 50A MOSFETs) for the CPU is extremely low for the high-powered CPU. I'd imagine the BIOS is limiting it running such a stressful test... and if it isn't, I'd imagine you're throttling because of the VRMs.

Try HWiNFO64 as it has a couple of throttling reasons listed... better, use Intel XTU and see what throttling reasons it lists when you run CInebench.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the motherboard has a power limit set for a stock cooler (even though there isn't one for K CPUs). I would check if the first option for the CPU is ~128W or more. The package shows 137W max, so I guess it's just limited by BIOS, and under full load in Cinebench, the CPU runs at a lowered frequency.

Please attach the images to the thread (like you did in the first post)...imgur goes away.

anything here?
It's the same info as above through a different program, so no.

As we said above, check in your BIOS and see what your cooling is set to. There should be a selection in EZ mode at the bottom that says CPU COOLER TYPE.

Use the sensor setting in Hwinfo64, bud........

1689683411781.png

We're slowly getting there...................................this looks like a screenshot where Cinebench wasn't run, though. In order to see where the throttling is, leave that program up and run Cinebench...

Anyway, look in the BIOS and let us know what it's set to.......and if it's low, change it and see how it responds.

What cooler are you using to cool this thing?

Attachments

• bios.jpg
    bios.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 2
You don't have that option on the budget board... I forgot. You'll have to manually raise the power limits I'd imagine....

...in the OC Tweaker -> CPU Configuration section towards the bottom are power limits and perhaps a 'load intel base power limit settings'. If you have the latter, make sure it's disabled. If you don't, raise the power limits (Long and short-duration power limits).

The max... should be 253W (what the chip is supposed to do at peak boost).

That said, I'd be concerned about running that chip on that board at full power... not a lot of VRMs, and the MOSFETs below are cheap 50A. Make sure your case has good airflow.

I'll ask a third time...............

You'll likely throttle thermally on the CPU after making this change.... so be aware.

Sorry: cooler is: Cooler Master Hyper H412R
what you meant "throttle thermally on the CPU" that should I keep an eye on MB and CPU Temperatures?
Should I return this one? and buy something like this would make a diference: "ASUS ROG Strix B760-I Gaming"

this machine is going to be use for 3D rendering most liklely CPU 100% usage. not a lot of cash at the moment also I need ITX formfactor. Cheers

That's a decent air cooler, but if you're running that CPU 100% for long periods, you'd want something better (like a 2x120mm+ AIO). Small form factor isn't great for airflow either.

When you raise the power limits, the temperature of the CPU will go up as it's using more power. If you look at your screenshots, it's using 138W and you just almost doubled it setting 253W (what the boost peak is). Once the CPU hits ~100C it will throttle due to thermals (temperatures).

Should I return this one?
If it can't do the job you're asking it to do, yes. That Asus is better. 8x phases with 80A MOSFETs compared to 5x @ (i'd guess to be maybe 60A).

is not a bit unusual that this board perform this bad? Cinebench score is almost half of what people is getting at stocks. anuthing to do with CPU?

is not a bit unusual that this board perform this bad? Cinebench score is almost half of what people is getting at stocks.
I'm not surprised, no. It's a cheap board with weak power delivery using a high-power chip. By default, it's not even reaching your CPU's potential (it's a 253W chip under boost conditions).

We've seen that the board is limiting you. If you'd like to work around that, raise those limits we talked about earlier. But doing so will likely show your next weak point, the heatsink. IF the VRMs can handle it (Intel XTU shows VRM throttling - too and why I mentioned it because I wasn't sure if they could handle this chip with raised limits), that heatsink isn't enough to run that chip sustained 100% at 250W... neither are most AIOs, lol. You can lower the Vcore 0.05V when that happens to help, but it won't resolve it. It will run as fast as it can below the temp limit at that point.

It's just how these chips work. Both AMD and Intel run these to their limits, but that board is programmed not to, lol.

Last edited:
Back