• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Currently Installing the Haze Demo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
85% done. All the questions about whether this game will leave up to its hype are about to be answered.

EDIT: While not TECHNICALLY superior I think it makes Crysis look like garbage. (Mind you I haven't seen any water or snow yet, so I'll with hold judgement for now... but I do prefer Haze's jungle.) Controls are decent and character models look nice. What remains to be seen are the overall level design, maps and what kind of boss fights... if any it will have. So far I've played 10 minutes. I'll let you know the rest when I'm done with the demo.

Last edited:
It makes Crysis look like Garbage? I find that pretty hard to believe. Not technically superior? But it is!? Guess I will have to see what the hell that means with my own eyes.

It makes Crysis look like Garbage? I find that pretty hard to believe. Not technically superior? But it is!? Guess I will have to see what the hell that means with my own eyes.

Well the trees aren't rendered thread by thread like they are in Crysis... and you obviously can't shoot any trees down and most objects don't react to gunfire... but it LOOKS better. The forrest just doesn't come off as LUSH in Crysis if you want something more specific. But so far NOTHING reacts to gunfire. So it's definitely not technically superior.

That spell it out for ya? :)

Seriously dont hold your breath that any game on PS3 or Xbox 360 is going to actualy be in 1080p resolution, its not. There are very few. It takes some serious power to render crap at that res. Its pretty much all upscaled from 720p people. So STOP ASKING :p

Seriously dont hold your breath that any game on PS3 or Xbox 360 is going to actualy be in 1080p resolution, its not. There are very few. It takes some serious power to render crap at that res. Its pretty much all upscaled from 720p people. So STOP ASKING :p

Fudge doesn't care about 1080p. He likely has an older HDTV which will not output 720p, so any games that do not support 1080i will be downscaled to 480p [thanks to the wonderful PS3 scaler].

On topic, I must admit that I care absolutely nothing for this game - I think it would have meant more before such as COD4. Nonetheless, I'll probably keep an open mind and give the demo a shot.

deception``

Fudge doesn't care about 1080p. He likely has an older HDTV which will not output 720p, so any games that do not support 1080i will be downscaled to 480p [thanks to the wonderful PS3 scaler].

On topic, I must admit that I care absolutely nothing for this game - I think it would have meant more before such as COD4. Nonetheless, I'll probably keep an open mind and give the demo a shot.

deception``

Correctamundo..... At least Rockstar programmed the software scalability into GTA. I don't have to worry about this crap on 360 games.

I have a 1080i HDTV and the PS3 downscales it to 720p I didn't think it would go as far as 480p unless the tv won't do 720p then yes. My friend was downloading this last night while also downloading everybodies golf I think it's called this was 1 of 2 EU updates for this week supposed to be antother 1 tomo.

Early HDTV's were frequently 1080i as their only real HD mode. These were usually CRT based TV's, both direct view and rear-projection. 1080p was generally beyond the capabilities of their internal electronics. At the time, other display technologies like plasma and LCD were either not available or extremely expensive ($10,000+).

720p only started to become popular as flat panel displays and other forms of rear projection became common and affordable. Typical panel manufacturing only went up to 720p, so that became a common HD mode. By then, TV's were made normally with more mode compatibility and scaling features.

Both of the consoles ideally *should* be able to automatically perform scaling from whatever any game internally renders at to whatever a user chooses in their settings. In addition to maximizing display compatibility, it can be particularly important in a game like GTA4 on PS3 that internally renders at an oddball resolution. For example, if a game renders at ###x###, gets scaled by the console to 720p, then is fed to a 1080p native LCD, then the TV would scale it again to 1920x1080. Then the picture is getting scaled twice and will have significant quality loss. If the console is flexible enough to perform the single scaling to the native resolution of a TV, the picture will look better. Another game might internally render at 720p...and a person might have a 1080p display that happens to have a better scaler than the console...then a person could set their console to transmit the unscaled 720p, let their TV do the scaling rather than the console, and end up with a better result. Other TV's might have poorer scalers and it would be better to let the console do it. Anyway, end result is...a console should have that flexible scaling functionality built in and always selectable regardless of game or even movie, downloaded TV show, whatever.

Sony must be having problems with the scaler or they just don't care about us who hopped on the HD bandwagon first because they keep saying they will fix the issue with a firmware update but so far it has been up to the developers to fix it with software.

Wonderful! Now that we've completed our lesson on the history of HDTV... anybody else play Haze? :p

So, other than liking the lush jungle scenery, what do you think of the gameplay so far? :)

I think every FPS in 2008, from Dark Sector on back, has been a failure. Haze at least gets the aiming and shooting right. But you better be fighting tanks, jeeps and helicopters... or gigantic bosses at some point. Because, if you're just fighting the regular guys you fight in the demo, it's going to get old REAL fast.

I do like how you can actually use the XMB's messaging system from in the game, and I really wish GTA and other PS3 games had this feature (I'm tired of people sending me invites for multi while I'm in the middle of single player.)

If they had cooler people to fight then I'd say they could be right up there with Gears of War but having 4 person co-op instead of two. It's certainly a cut above Army of Two and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and any other shooter released since COD4... but only time will tell if it's got any BAWLZ.

Was Dark Sector really that bad???? I am so looking forward to MGS4 I didn't realise that Battlefield Bad Company was out the next day dammit that looks an ok FPS.

My router dies last week so I'll have to create an ICS connection to get my PS3 online going to download the demo now.

Back