• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to forums, experience with Celeron D 356?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teddi

Registered
Hi,

This is my first post on forums, through the years when i looked on anything on overclocking i always ended up here.

I just bought a new motherboard, msi p35 platinum, and 8 gb of 667 stock memory, a new 700W psu and some added cooling and im planning to overclock my main computer tomorrow, e6600 hopefully to a stable 3.6 ghz. With the leftovers from this + past upgrades i have basically a full computer minus case + processor.

So i bought a case and a processor. Cheapest i could find (i work at a retail outlet) so i found a case for close to nothing, and the cheapest in the socket was a Celeron D 356, running at 3.3 GHZ with 512 kb lv 2 cache.

This is my new hobby computer :p i've never seen people here in Iceland trying to make anything of the lower end cpu's, has anyone here have good experience with it? I have a 8600 GT spare, 4 gb of my old 800 mhz ram. What kind of speeds and benchmark results are people getting overclocking the celeron d processors?

regards, sorry for quickly written sketch i have to run out :p

Welcome to the forums :)

My memory isn't great for older Intel stuff but IIRC Celerons of that type topped out around 4GHz max usually. The model you have is getting towards the limit of what that class of chip can manage.

I dont really care for life time of my e6600. Do people generally get it stable at 3.6 g?

I'll test it out and post what i find, im determined to get atleast 3.6 out of this processor.

As for the celeron, i'll go for 4+ and post findings as well :)

Does anyone know safe temp for celeron 356? I got it at 4.7 Ghz stable but under p95 torture test its running at almost 70 C max

I'm sure that if you checked it out, those temps are still within the guidelines set up by Intel for those procs...remember, they were designed to be able to run in cases with limited air flows for at least 3 years (warranty period).

Nice overclock, by the way...granted, it is not going to set any world records, but still very respectable.

Just for grins, check out this linked thread. Celeron 347 running 6.47GHZ with 1.992v vcore.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=188236

As you can see, you till have a ways to go. Those Celerons have high multipliers which allows them to reach the high clocks. They still don't perform as well as the Conroes and such, but they are fun to play with. :D

thanks ALOT for your input.

what are the guidline temps set by intel for celeron d?

basically i upgraded motherboard and cooling on my system, and im using that mobo (msi p6n sli fi v1) for the celeron. It supports up to 1333 mhz fsb.

Would my gear apart from processor be safe going for higher clock? i dont care if processor burns out (cost me under 30 usd at work) just the motherboard + ram are dear to me :p its my old ones.

I own the Celeron 331 2.66GHz.

I got it to a maximum overclock of 4GHz at 1.58V on the oldish 945 chipset. I am not sure how stable it is, but Ubuntu runs fine, and so do movies and stuff, although I haven't used it recently.

Bumping voltage to the BIOS max of 1.6V did not help get any higher.

I also used a Celery 321 earlier, which reached a max of 3.8GHz on the same board.

As for temp's, uh, dunno, don't care... The Zalman 7700cu does it's job fine:)

You will probably reach an FSB wall. Doing a pad mod to get it to 800FSB initially seems to help get past the FSB wall. However, the problem is that your chip has to be able to boot at a much higher speed at stock voltage. You might get better results because of your motherboard.

Also, heat does not seem to play such a huge role it would seem. I could reach the same overclocks whether I use high or low fan speed, but maybe that's just me...

You could possibly damage the motherboard, but you would have to be reckless. Overclock in tiny increments. Your very high CPU multiplier will create huge leaps and bounds in clockspeed for a small increase in FSB. Look out for the signs. Run memtest. If you find errors or crashes something is not working.

Raising the voltage higher and higher has almost no effect after a while. Initially, these chips can overclock really well on stock volts, but then need everything you can give them to go higher.

Back