• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid Compatability between older and newer nvidia nforce boards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acoldone

Registered
I have just had a computer die on me. I tried switching out video cards.. bought a new power supply (corsair 750 watt from a ocz 520) but all things now seem to indicate the motherboard/cpu - it will no longer post - power keeps cycline on and off. It was fine one day and the next it seems to have the power on but it was locked (no display on monitor). When I left it the day before I wasn't even running anything at all except a web browser (although I had been gaming for a few hours before that). I rebooted but it wouldn't even post. The code on the motherboard indicated FF right off the bat. According to EVGAs knowledge base for NF4 boards this would be related to a power supply issue but now it seems I have eliminated that as a cause. I also reseated the cpu and hsf and removed pretty much all pci cards. No dice.

I have an EVGA NForce 4 SLI Motherboard (133-K8-NF41-XX) s939. I have two sets of raid 0 sata drives that are using the onboard raid. Does anyone know if it would be possible to get a more modern nforce chipset + cpu combo that would allow me to access these drives? I can't get my board anymore (already obsolete). I heard raid chipset are not usually compatable but I was hoping someone here might have gotten lucky by maybe trasferring their raid arrays to a newer nforce motherboard with raid support. Would a nforce 570 chipset motherboard raid chipset be compatable for example? I would also be willing to go the intel root if I thought the nforce chipsets for Intel would allow me. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
If you cannot get that machine to boot, im afraid you will lose your information.

AFAIK, there are no raid controllers that would allow you to move a raid set to it and rebuild the raid without losing information. Its possible high end raid controllers can do this, but I dont think they can.

Even if you got the same board to replace the current one, the onboard controller is software based and the raid info would have been lost with the old board.

If you cannot get that machine to boot, im afraid you will lose your information.

AFAIK, there are no raid controllers that would allow you to move a raid set to it and rebuild the raid without losing information. Its possible high end raid controllers can do this, but I dont think they can.

Even if you got the same board to replace the current one, the onboard controller is software based and the raid info would have been lost with the old board.

Hmm.. I thought the raid info was stored on the hard drives themselves? I thought I read on other forums that others had been able to just have their recognize their raid array on boot with a similar chipset on another motherboard. One even claimed they had their nf3 raid array recognized on a nforce 430 motherboard. Unless these people were telling tales?

What raid chipset is it? Sorry I am to lazy to look but it sounds like an Nvidia raid chip. If so another Nvidia raid will pick it up. It is possible(but unlikely) that it will just boot right up. You may need to do a repair install so you can F6 the newer drivers into the system32 folder unless they are the same. Note which slots you are using and plug them in the same on the new mobo, boot and fwhatever to enter raid setup. Setup will not be necessary as it is stored on the drives, it should detect the arrays and they will be visible. If not recheck the connections as sata port layouts make no sense.

Last edited:
Back