• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freshly raided Raptors :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

I just recived my second raptor 150 in the mail yesterday!! Woohoo! So.. After about 4 hours of trying to get my SD Card to act as a floppy, I gave up.. :bang head Instead I slipstreamed the drivers into my copy of XP, lol I should have done that in the first place.. Anyways, today I got it all setup the way I like it, except for my desktop pic :beer: I tried Matrix raid with my old 250 gig wd's, it was fun, but the arrays never lasted for me :( These are much better I think :) I started giggleing when XP started to dump its setup files, it went by pretty quick.. :drool:

th_56955_matrixwinsliceshort_122_92lo.JPG th_56958_matrixwinslicelong_122_466lo.JPG th_56960_matrixstoragesliceshort_122_930lo.JPG th_56967_matrixstorageslicelong_122_851lo.JPG th_57659_hdtunewinslice_122_33lo.JPG

Noice, verrrrry noice! Those suckers seem to be flying fast! :thup: Are they noisy? I had a pair of raptors raided and tho they were extremely fast, they were quite on the noisy side.

Thats fast. Are you using a dedicated RAID controller for them?

As Nebulous says how loud are they? I like fast - but I also like quiet ;)

When I had my Raptors they were soft-mounted in the Antec P180 drive mounts and really weren't all that loud especially once inside the case. With a cheap case and hard-mounted they might be a lot noisier.

Heyya guys, sorry for the delay! They arent noisy at all, actually it seems now that they are paired up, they are quieter :screwy: But that could be because i cant hear much over the fans i have spread out all over the place lol!

As for a dedicated card, no sir, im just useing the board :)

Ahh. Well way back I used to have high CFM fans so all I heard was the fans. Once I started to eliminate the noise I started hearing the drives :rolleyes: I was trying all kinds of experiments to quiet them down, but it just got anoying so I went back to normal drives in raid and got rid of the raptors.

Sure would be nice to get a pair of raptors and raid them, providing of course if WD invented something to make them silent.

At the worst, it sounds like a coffee perc beside you, and thats only 1 drive :) 2 seems quieter for some reason.. but for the platters spinning, and noises like that, you dont hear it at all :)

As Nebulous says how loud are they? I like fast - but I also like quiet ;)

I have some ADFD raptor's in raid-0 and they make a good grunt, definitely not quiet (my fans are very quiet, though). I even have rubber grommets between each screw hole, which doesn't seem to help at all. I found that to really make the grunt go away laying them freely, unmounted on some soft tubing or something works VERY well. The difference was like night and day. Tubing was all I had laying around, but you get the idea. I never got around to making something more elegant/permanent.

Hope this helps.

I have some ADFD raptor's in raid-0 and they make a good grunt, definitely not quiet (my fans are very quiet, though). I even have rubber grommets between each screw hole, which doesn't seem to help at all. I found that to really make the grunt go away laying them freely, unmounted on some soft tubing or something works VERY well. The difference was like night and day. Tubing was all I had laying around, but you get the idea. I never got around to making something more elegant/permanent.

Hope this helps.

ahh, you just got me thinking.. the drive cage, and adapter used to make it work with my case has rubber washer type things isolateing the cage from the tower.. maybe thats why they are quiet :confused:

Thanks!

Man, if you can swing another one, id say do it. since they are cheap! I thought 1 raptor was great.. 2 is almost obscene in comparison :)

I've never done a raid =D

but i'll most likely use a raid 0 or raid 5 when I get enough money for some storage drives

I don't know about you guys, but I love the Raptor's seeking noise... Compared to most drives their 'crunching' seeking noise is very old school :)

But then I was never a 'silent computing' kind of guy... :p

Da Velociraptor

As per the other thread, it is finally available on Newegg for $300, cheaper than 2x150Gb raptors... I've read somewhere that the performance of the velociraptor is better than 2xOldRaptor, can you guys confirm it?

raided raptors just sounds so gewd ;)

nice performance freeagent!

I don't know about you guys, but I love the Raptor's seeking noise... Compared to most drives their 'crunching' seeking noise is very old school :)

But then I was never a 'silent computing' kind of guy... :p

Haha I'm not the only one :D I kind of like some heavy duty seek noises in a way even though I like quiet computing too. It's kind of like the drives are saying 'Yea I'm here kicking ***, whatcha gonna do about it??!'

i know what you guys mean, im a fan too :beer: as soon as something touches the disk, it unleashes its savageness. compared to my other drives, i guess thats its way of saying rawr :attn:

Wow, how is your burst speed at 3500 MB/s !?! My RAID 0 150 raptors clock in with a 227 MB/s burst (HD Tach). Am I missing something?

Intel Matrix Raid ftw :)

With write-back cache enabled in the Matrix Storage console, most benches report 2800-3500mb/s burst speed... A gimmick, but cool nonetheless :p

Back