• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

talk bout AMD not lasting...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hank123

So many people her have been talking bout how AMD is going to the way side. For anyone who watches Intel and AMD both you should see what kind of money AMD is re-investing back into their own company.

I know here in Ft. Collins Colorado they are doing a big build to one of their buildings and I know across the country they are buy stuff up and building.

If you look what AMD has done in the past and what they have brought to the table against Intel now Intel will be using what they found. Like theintegrated memory controller that will be used on the 32Nm stuff.

I dont see AMD going anywhere and I still think its a great company. Yes I run Intel stuff now how every I ran AMD for most of my life. (started with a apple II-E)
With the investments being made I think AMD has some big stuff coming up that will put them back on the up and up.

I think AMD is going to come up with what I call cross over technology which will play into the multi threading a single thread shared core affectionately called reverse-HT. What cross over would to is allow one core to send work to a second idle core vid a direct L1 XBar channel. It's speculation but possible. Some of the development details speak of how to write code to work with the upcoming tech and one of the discussions about branch prediction plays in. **tel is coming back with it's multi-threaded pipelines and other optimization hurts. AMD has been quiet about K10.5.
What I would like to see them do is get the next stepping of K10-45nm rolling with the current enhancements of X2-X4 CPUs. Then delay new steppings (just revise current) and go for K11 with some of this newer stuff in 2H-09.

They gotta have something if they are out there spending money. U know it took intel years to get the 45nm stuff right.
im just pumped to see what major jump AMD has next!

As far as I knew they were laying off, selling offices, old fab parts etc.

come over here and try to find that.

Sound like AMD is moving home where it's been getting cheaper here over the last 7 years.

I know they are building like mad over by me. (intel is also over here)

And across the country they have bought old military bases and land to build on.

I cant wait to see what they come out with!

If they are buying up old military bases and land to build on... it seems like they are Terrorists! http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

adequacy.org said:
If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking. AMD chips are never sold in stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites. Do not buy this chip! This is one request that you must refuse your son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.

but anyways on topic.... I feel AMD has something up their sleeve and is not letting anyone know what it is!

Invest in them, the stock is pretty low ;)

+1 to that, but then again every stock is low lol. i've read about this reverse-threading, looks interesting. But before every amd launch they have something that logically sounds awesome (on paper) until its released. I remember before the phenom came out, everyone was getting excited about the native quad core... how'd that go lol. And its funny how intel is taking that technology and putting it into their chips (the upcoming nehalem core)

Well, i did read a bit about AMD planning on a single CPU that sports 12 cores. Considering the greater probability of a 12 core die with bad core or 2, expect a slew of 8, 9, 10, and 11 cores to come out with 12 core (same way 3 core CPU is sold currently)

Well, i did read a bit about AMD planning on a single CPU that sports 12 cores. Considering the greater probability of a 12 core die with bad core or 2, expect a slew of 8, 9, 10, and 11 cores to come out with 12 core (same way 3 core CPU is sold currently)

This explanation just will not die. The X3s are not all just made up of X4s with a defective core. While it would make sense to use as many defective or suboptimal Agena dies as possible, this is not always the case. When we start seeing 12-core processors, they will probably be made up of two 6-core dies. Yields aren't going to be quite as awful as you're imagining.

If Intel doesn't allow Nvidia to produce chipsets for Nehalem, AMD's stock will bump a little higher just because Crossfire is fully supported on Intel platforms. Most people will pair ATI GPUs with Nehalems. Crossfire scales well, is relatively cheap with the HD 3000 series, and will perform very well with the HD 4000 series according to preliminary benchmarks. AMD will stick around for the long run because they're pulling out of the nose dive at the moment and its looking good for them.

As far as the stock price goes, the market is suffering these days so the price may not reflect their outlook for months.

The enthusiast market (crossfire) won't pull AMD up. They have other issues that they haven't solved yet. A couple new buildings here and there, a sign of success does not make.

i am sure they'll one up IBM on their stacked processors some how andrake in some serious cash

Intel is now going to undergo a full investigation by the FTC for anti-competative practices. Very good news for AMD.

Just What It Was Dreading -- Intel Monopoly Rocked By Official FTC Investigation

Too bad they may be bankrupt by the time that case actually occurs / finishes. They need help now, not 2+ years in the future while our legal system does it's work.

I was also somewhat joking about investing in AMD, but if you like the high risk / high reward, go for it ;)

Back