• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: E8400 weird Temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vash_g35

Registered
Hi guys, this is gonna be my first post, so dont be too harsh on me :)
I tried using the search button but i didnt get a specific answer to my problem. There are some similar issues, but no solution. Anyways, I just installed my E8400 on a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L, temp readings are so weird. Mobo reads 28C, but other apps like real temp and core temp, says 62C/idle. Also, everest cant seem to support the CPU, meaning I dont have temp reading on it :confused: Oh, and I already re-seated the cpu twice, using the arctic silver.

On the side note, I used to have the E6400 with the same mobo i mentioned, and it has the same temp readings. (mobo and apps have same temps)

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Vash

edit: i forgot to mention that it's not overclocked yet. stock everything, except for the thermalright ultra 120 heat sink

Last edited:
Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

Artic Silver needs curing time. Gotta give it a few days for it to cure/settle in. You already reseated the sink so that's not it. Something to note is too much thermal grease will have a negative effect, so instead of good heat transfer, it'll act as an insulator, thus giving high temps.

62c idle is kinda high. Have you updated the bios?

i see, i didn't know about that. i'll try to wait couple of days for the curing time. also, i'll try to search if my current bios is up to date. - i currently have the F4 bios for my gigabyte EP35-DS3L.

thanks for the tip!

I got the same problem with my Q9300, Idle says 53C load more than 70C using coretemp, but i know its not the right temp because the air comming out of the case is cold and the cpu heatsink is cold too. ;)

Ahh, forgot to ask what type of cpu cooler are you using? If it's the stock cooler, then this also can be part of the problem.

Hi guys, this is gonna be my first post, so dont be too harsh on me :)
I tried using the search button but i didnt get a specific answer to my problem. There are some similar issues, but no solution. Anyways, I just installed my E8400 on a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L, temp readings are so weird. Mobo reads 28C, but other apps like real temp and core temp, says 62C/idle. Also, everest cant seem to support the CPU, meaning I dont have temp reading on it :confused: Oh, and I already re-seated the cpu twice, using the arctic silver.

On the side note, I used to have the E6400 with the same mobo i mentioned, and it has the same temp readings. (mobo and apps have same temps)

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Vash

edit: i forgot to mention that it's not overclocked yet. stock everything, except for the thermalright ultra 120 heat sink

RealTemp or CoreTemp?
RealTemp gets reading of 10C lower than CoreTemp.

Alot of these 45nms have faulty thermal diodes and will often report spikes or just get stuck and not move at all.
I'm getting 0 sensor movement on mine.

I've contacted Intel about it, I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks for all the inputs guys, appreciate it!
Now here are some SS to answer some of your questions. (on this SS, its OCd to 3.5Ghz stock volts, so same temps from stock)

Ahh, forgot to ask what type of cpu cooler are you using? If it's the stock cooler, then this also can be part of the problem.

Thermalright ultra 120 extreme, my e6400 was OC'd to 3.5Ghz for only 21C/idle using this... so im guessing heatsink is not the cause of the prob. Could be the CPU thermal diodes, as worshipme and the others said?

For anyone interested, here is Intel's response:

Dear Intel,

I recently bought en E8400 CPU. After installing it I naturally checked the core temperatures only to find that both sensors were stuck or jumpy and would not give me accurate mesurements. How am I supposed to know my CPU is running at a safe temperature when the thermal sensors are faulty? What can I do about this?

Hello David,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Customer Support.

I understand that you are concerned about the operating temperature of the Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E8400.

The maximum operating temperature of the Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E8400 is 72.4 degrees Celsius. As long as the processor is operating under this temperature it is operating within specifications. We do not have a normal operating temperature for the processor as this temperature will vary depending on the chassis and other hardware installed on the system as well as the actual load the software is placing on the processor.

To verify the thermal information for this processor please visit the following website:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/Details.aspx?ProcFam=0&sSpec=slapl&OrdCode=

There is always going to be a 5-to-10-degree difference between cores because there is a main core, which is going to have the constant load of the system (even when this is at idle conditions) and a secondary core that the motherboard and the operating system would determine when to function.

Furthermore, this type of situation is usually related to the incorrect recognition of the microcode of the processor. The microcode of the processor is an electronic string that works as an identifier that the system BIOS and the motherboard itself use for communicating to the processor when it comes to data transference. If the microcode string is broken (this can happen because of static or grounding) then the system starts reporting wrong information like overheating or wrong specifications on the processor.

I would recommend updating the system BIOS to the latest revision available.

To reduce overheating you will need to use a thermally advantaged chassis. A Thermally Advantaged Chassis will help reduce overheating to a minimum. Please check the following website to identify a thermally advantaged chassis:
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-008537.htm

Additional thermal information is available at the following web sites:
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-007999.htm
http://support.intel.com/design/pentium4/guides/252161.htm
http://support.intel.com/design/pentium4/guides/249889.htm
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-015912.htm
http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/res...top/proc_dsk_p4/technical_reference/99346.htm

Also, high CPU utilization is almost always caused by an application or program, in many cases a virus or spy ware; therefore, make sure that your antivirus is up to date since this could end up in an overheating issue.

I would also recommend running the Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility to properly identify your Intel(R) processor.

The Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility was developed by Intel(R) Corporation to enable consumers the ability to identify and, in some circumstances, determine if their Intel(R) processor is operating at the correct speed intended by Intel(R) Corporation. You can download this utility at:
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Would you mind answering a couple of questions to help us improve our web content? (By answering these questions in a reply to this e-mail message we can correlate your suggestions to specific web content related to your issue.) Your response is optional and will have no impact on the handling or resolution of your current case.

Did you receive an automated response to your e-mail message containing suggested web solutions to help you resolve your problem?

If yes, could you tell us why the suggested solutions did not enable you to resolve your problem, and how you think we could make them more effective?

If you did not receive a previous e-mail with web links and suggested solutions, would you like to provide any other feedback on how our web site could more effectively aid you in finding answers to your questions?

Sincerely,

Adolfo S.
Intel(R) Customer Support

Intel is a registered trademark of the Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

A representative of Intel may subsequently contact you (via email) in order to obtain your feedback on the quality of support you received. If you do not wish to participate, simply delete the survey email.

I got the same problem with my Q9300, Idle says 53C load more than 70C using coretemp, but i know its not the right temp because the air comming out of the case is cold and the cpu heatsink is cold too. ;)

same here, i touched the lower part of the heatsink (the part that directly touches the CPU), but is cold too. So i guess the mobos temp reading is the correct one?
Riverslide, does updating your BIOS fixed your problem? Cuz' mine is using already the latest BIOS. -no new updates as of now

Last edited:
The statement by intel is very misleading.
Furthermore, this type of situation is usually related to the incorrect recognition of the microcode of the processor. The microcode of the processor is an electronic string that works as an identifier that the system BIOS and the motherboard itself use for communicating to the processor when it comes to data transference. If the microcode string is broken (this can happen because of static or grounding) then the system starts reporting wrong information like overheating or wrong specifications on the processor.

That refers to cpu diode, not to core temp. Cpu temps (bios temp or can be read by speedfan) are indeed dependent on bios calibration and recognition and subject to interference error. However, you are not having that problem as your cpu temp is ok.

Core temps are not dependent on bios calibration, they are read directly from a register on CPU, and coretemp, realtemp, HWM, etc all are reading that data accurately, they only report different temps based on different tjmaxes. But delta to tjmax will be exactly what DTS is reporting, and hence intel is being very misleading as always, by giving that statement without being more specific and stating they are referring to cpu temp only.

If you write them back and call them on their BS, they will state
"Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Customer Support.

The only way for you to have the accurate data is by contacting a Field Application Engineer (FAE) as mentioned on previous emails:

Please contact one of our authorized distributors. You will need to work with a Field Application Engineer (FAE) at one of our distributors. A list of our distributors can be found at the following web site:"

And, again, intel is being deceptive. Intel says you can get that information by going to an FAE, even though they know individuals will not be helped by any FAE.

@ vash_g35, Bottom line your DTS sensor is not functioning properly. It is not possible for the cpu diode (between cores) and core temp to be more than about 5C difference and that is at load. Your cpu temp is likely accurate, and your bios is hence doing its job. No bios update is ever going to fix your DTS sensor.

But can you post a load temperature screenshot?

i see, thanks! i'll run orthos for a couple of minutes then, i'll get a ss of it.

I recently just installed mine and am testing it, and I have seen the same thing.

RealTemp says that Core 0 runs at 32c idle and at the most 38c load.
While on the other hand it says Core 1 runs at 24c idle and 40c load.
No matter what I do, Core 0 is always at least 32c. I think these have temp. sensor issues. No big deal as long as your temps are under control.

I'm currently testing my sig PC settings for stability.

lucky you, atleast only 32c, mine is always 62c and up :cry:

That's just wierd. If you think it's actually getting that hot, you might want to invest in a pyrometer. One with a laser is good.

Try using realtemp 2.5, that's what I currently have. It seems to work correctly. At least for me.

Intel TAT won't run now that I have this CPU, it keeps saying "Invalid Processor". Orthos is running fine for me at my sig settings.

@vash_g35.... as intel is always quick to accurately point out, delta to tjmax is in units, not degrees C. There is no guarantee of linear correlation with degrees C, until approximately 20 units from tjmax where the correlation is linear and 1:1. Some people are lucky and have decent linearity at lower temps, others are unlucky and have horrible linearity at lower temps, ie like you, and hence get meaningless numbers instead of temps, until actually reaching ~80C.

At idle, you are 37 units from tjmax, at load, you are 32 units from tjmax, suggesting (incorrectly) a temp change of only 5C, when your actual temps obviously went up much higher going from idle to load.

For example, suppose tjmax is 95C and thus use real temp (RT).

The formula is: tjmax - DTS (delta to tjmax) = temp C displayed

At delta to tjmax of 0, 1 unit = 1C, linear correlation
so displayed temp is 95C - 0 units = 95C (accurate temp)

At delta to tjmax of 15, 1 unit = 1C, linear correlation
so displayed temp is 95C - 15units = 80C (accurate)

At delta to tjmax of 35, 1 unit = 1.3C, non linear correlation
displayed temp is 95C - 35units = 60C (but this is inaccurate, as no calibration is done by intel in this range. Your actual temp should have been 95C - 45C = 45C. Others may be lucky and 1 unit = 1.1C, and get better temps. The decline in linearity is highly variable cpu to cpu. National semiconductor (maker of intels DTS for 45nm) explained this problem in detail on their web page. I had linked this page in a post to intel, the web page has since disappeared)

At delta to tjmax of 45, 1 unit = 1.4C, even worse nonlinearity as progress further from calibration at DTS =0.
Now temp software reads 95C - 45units = 50C. But actual temp is 95C - 63C = 32C. Simple problem is DTS sensor is calibrated at high end only and not low end.

Some are lucky and get a very slow decline in linearity like from 1:1 down to 1:1.1. Others like you get a very sharp decline in linearity of units to C, like from 1:1 down to 1:2 or so. Just luck of the draw. And some cpus may not even report below a certain temp (even if exposed to LN). And may read the same temp until that threshold temp is breached.

You an use realtemp to calibrate the low end, assuming you do not have a stuck/threshold dependent DTS, and instead just a severe nonlinear issue. Your core temp, which can be worked out mathematically, should read about 3-5C above ambient at low volts, low clock, idle. If you set you cpu to low volts, and calibrate to read that with realtemp, you should get fair approximation of temps across whole range. Or you can ignore your highly nonlinear DTS output, and just use cpu temp. Or you can just use delta to tjmax, and know you have a lot of headroom, because someone getting linear temps in low range, they go up 10C, the delta to tjmax decreases 10, if you go up 10C, your delta to tjmax may barely go up. So just keep delta to Tjmax greater than 20-25, and know that even at delta to Tjmax of 35, you might have 20C more headroom, because of nonlinear output.

Last edited:
Back