• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jack Thompson walks out on his hearing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thats hilarious, way to make a good impression... walk out on your own hearing... :p

Who is Jack Thompson?

You can't be serious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Thompson_(attorney)

Basically he's a one-man crusade against video games, who due to questionable legal dealings is now facing a potential disbarment without the option of re-applying for a license for 10 years.

He argued about the position of the podium in the courtroom today, and left after he was not allowed to read a lengthy diatribe about Judge Tunis and the people involved in his trial. He was, however, allowed to submit it for evidence.

He then walked out, thus leaving him no option to argue any of his points to the court.

GamePolitics has the complete skinny on all of his trial. Quite honestly, if you're a gamer and you're NOT reading GamePolitics, well, I honestly don't know what to say.

IIRC its from a post on GameFaqs.com forums, there was a Halo discussion and some guy posted "I think Halo is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills aleins and doesn't afraid of anything.", thereby instantly creating a new meme :p

Aaaw damn won't be hearing any more of his nonsene for a little bit :( What will the news sites post now?

You can't be serious.

Basically he's a one-man crusade against video games, who due to questionable legal dealings is now facing a potential disbarment without the option of re-applying for a license for 10 years.

He argued about the position of the podium in the courtroom today, and left after he was not allowed to read a lengthy diatribe about Judge Tunis and the people involved in his trial. He was, however, allowed to submit it for evidence.

He then walked out, thus leaving him no option to argue any of his points to the court.

GamePolitics has the complete skinny on all of his trial. Quite honestly, if you're a gamer and you're NOT reading GamePolitics, well, I honestly don't know what to say.

Haha seriously I don't... though I really don't pay attention.

Games and politics should never be said in the same sentence.

Thats like mixing oil and water. Oh wait....

Or just say Pompous windbag.;)

You can't be serious.

Games and politics should never be said in the same sentence.

Wait, what? You mean, you're all for the government stepping in and telling you what you can and cannot play?

The unfortunate thing in our generation, like generations before us that had to deal with the banning of music, novels, comic books and the like, is that our very most favourite past time is this generation's whipping boy. Games get blamed for everything from obesity to violent murder, and when enough alarmists and soccer moms start yelling, the old guys who run the joint get kinda antsy.

Our saving grace is that games, like movies, novels, comic books and music before them, are protected by the rights of free speech in our respective countries. However, people like Jack Thompson would see fit to strip us of those rights by drafting obscene legislation that would make selling games with content deemed 'violent' to be illegal.

I can read a book where a demon disguised as a clown can kill people, I can listen to musicians saying '**** the police', and I can watch movies featuring consenting adults having sexual intercourse thanks to freedom of speech. Why should my video games be different?

Gaming and politics crosses now more than ever, even if they should be separate. You'd better get on top of it right quick.

Wonderful, I was curious how long can one run amok like he did without proving that games have those effects. Took a while but finally he is silenced.

Cheator, I think ONI's point was that unless we stand up and fight we will be trampled, unilateraly saying games should be free doesnt stop the facists running over us

Cheator, I think ONI's point was that unless we stand up and fight we will be trampled, unilateraly saying games should be free doesnt stop the facists running over us

I know and I understand that. But it would be better is it didn't come to that. It would be better if we didn't HAVE to stand up and fight, you know? Politics should not interfere with games.

Back