• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you tell me the diff b/t 2 HDDs, RAID configs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Formula49000

Registered
Hi, I pretty much have my build list completed for my new PC, but I am having trouble with the Hard Drives.

I wanted to know two things:

Is this 320GB Seagate Barracuda:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148316

any faster than this 750GB Hitachi?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145140

I was under the impression that the storage devices with higher capacity ran slower, but it looks to me like the Hitachi is actually faster.

Second,

What RAID setup would be fastest? I want to set up 2 or 3 HDDs in a RAID, but I'm worried that a RAID5 will be really slow. Is that true?
What about a RAID4, what is the difference b/t that and RAID5?

Note: the RAID HDDs are for all my files, I will be using a faster drive for my games and OS

Please, Please...any help would be greatly appreciated. This hard drive situation is killing me, I don't know what to do.

Here are the specs on the two drives in case the links don't work:

Barracuda
Brand Seagate
Series Barracuda 7200.11
Model ST3320613AS

Performance
Interface SATA 3.0Gb/s
Capacity 320GB
RPM 7200 RPM
Cache 16MB
Average Seek Time 11ms
Average Write Time 12ms
Average Latency 4.16ms

Physical Spec
Form Factor 3.5"

Hitachi

Brand HITACHI
Series Deskstar 7K1000
Model HDS721075KLA330 (0A34914)
Performance
Interface SATA 3.0Gb/s
Capacity 750GB
RPM 7200 RPM
Cache 32MB
Average Seek Time 8.5ms
Average Latency 4.17ms

Physical Spec
Form Factor 3.5"

Features
Perpendicular magnetic recording technology
Ramp load design increases shock protection and power savings
Thermal monitoring and fly height control enhance reliability
Three low-power idle modes boost power efficiency
Silent seek acoustics achieve ultra-quiet operation
Host/drive authentication for hardware security

I would definitely go with the Hitachi of the 2 you pointed out.

You may want to also take a look at the Seagate ST3750330AS

As far as RAID is concerned if you are using it for storage only I would suggest some parity.

For performance, you pointed out that you had a better drive. I would seriously consider running a RAID 0 for performance.

Ok, I'm going with the Hitachi since there seems to be less technical problems with it.

Should I set it up the 3 Hitachis in a RAID5? I don't really have any alternatives except a RAID0 or RAID1 with only 2 drives

Ok, I'm going with the Hitachi since there seems to be less technical problems with it.

Should I set it up the 3 Hitachis in a RAID5? I don't really have any alternatives except a RAID0 or RAID1 with only 2 drives

I would personally use 2 of them on a 0 stripe RAID for performance (OS, Appz, Games) and the 3rd as a seperate storage drive.

Although 5 does offer parity on your RAID, I prefer the example above.

Types of RAID configurations are always up for debate. It really just depends on the application of your build.

I would personally use 2 of them on a 0 stripe RAID for performance (OS, Appz, Games) and the 3rd as a seperate storage drive.

Although 5 does offer parity on your RAID, I prefer the example above.

Types of RAID configurations are always up for debate. It really just depends on the application of your build.

Well, I am getting a 120GB SSD for my OS and games so these drives are purely for storage.

Back