• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the CPU_FAN optional?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_yo_wasup_

I installed a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme just now, and if you're not familiar with this heatsink, it requires a 120mm fan to be attached to it. I got a Thermaltake 120mm blue LED fan, and installed it, but I want to make sure when I try to start my computer, it won't fail a post because it doesn't identify anything plugged in as a CPU Fan. My motherboard is the ASUS Rampage Forumla. Is the CPU_FAN optional? or do I still figure a way to plug this into the CPU_FAN? Any help would be appreciated.

You can generally turn off the warning in the BIOS. I take it the fan is plugged into a different header or is plugged into a 4pin Molex? If it's connected to a different 3 pin header you may want to just move it over to the CPU Fan header.

Well, in a way yes, the CPU_FAN is optional but you loose the ability to adjust fan speed (for most motherboards). For asus boards, go under sensors and set it to Ignore. Hope that helps!

So most likely I will have to press F1 to continue then right? (until I disable it in BIOS)

When overclocking there used to be a train of thought running around that you should never use any fan headers on the motherboard to keep unnecessary loads running through your motherboard. Sounds good in theory, but I have no idea if its true.

I hope not! Assume I use 2 120mm 220cfm delta fans, each consuming 29watts, I don't think it should cause insufficient power for the CPU etc. I mean, a quad core consumes 200watts on load and 58watss should not affect it too much. Also, most of us don't use 29watt fans.

When overclocking there used to be a train of thought running around that you should never use any fan headers on the motherboard to keep unnecessary loads running through your motherboard. Sounds good in theory, but I have no idea if its true.

that's close, but I've heard its more of a factor of the fans requiring more wattage than what the mobo's fan header was designed to handle.

ie. mobo manual says don't exceed 5W. and you've got an 8W fan.

Yeah, a lot of our fans, namely high speed deltas and high speed 120mm fans are too much for the headers in many cases. Heatsinks have gotten bigger and have been better optimized for running larger sized, quieter, lower power, fans in a lot of cases so I'd argue that it's less of an issue today. Mobo makers have also been doing a better job with the headers themselves. IIRC a lot of Socket A boards only supported a 1-2W fan at max.

Back