• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lifetime Warranty Only From Visiontek?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Micmal

I'm an Nvidia user, going to purchase the 4870. I see that the only seller of ATI cards that offers lifetime warranty is Visiontek. Are there others, that I might have over looked? I've checked HIS, Sapphire, ASUS, and Diamond Viper so far. so by the looks of it, unless Visiontek's customer service is bad, then it might be advisable to pay the $10-20 more for the lifetime warranty over the other companies.

Also, an extension of this question, do you think it's needed? (lifetime warranty)

None of the graphics cards I've ever bought have had a lifetime warranty and its never been a problem, since while I used them they never failed, as far as I know they haven't failed after selling them off either, though they wouldn't be covered by a lifetime warranty then anyways, unless its a double.

Personaly if its got at least 1/2 years I'm happy, any more then that is great but not a deciding factor.

cards with 3 year warrentys are fine..in 3 years you'll be lucky to sell your card for $30 if that...so is more then a 3 year really needed? by then your card is stone age..

cards with 3 year warrentys are fine..in 3 years you'll be lucky to sell your card for $30 if that...so is more then a 3 year really needed? by then your card is stone age..

EVGA's lifetime warranty guarantees that they will replace your card if it breaks. Which was really useful when my 7900 GT died. I'm going to really miss it with my 4850.

Speaking of dead 7900GT's mine also died, and due to EVGAs lifetime warranty, I received an 8800 GTS 320 as a replacement. Now that I think about it, a three year warranty would be fine as well. Which companies fill this criteria?

I thought so called lifetime warranty is that the warranty will cover as long as the manufacturer still produce this model. If this model is discontinued, the "lifetime" runs out. Usually 3-year warranty is actually longer than "lifetime".

Working in a heavily computer-related repair oriented business, saying that 'I never needed a warranty so I won't get one/go for one now' is a poor excuse to not get one. In fact, it just means you've lucked out so far, I hate to say it. Visiontek is a good company, if you buy through a third party vendor they'll usually honor the manufacturer's warranty without making you go all the way back.

That's why I always buy my graphics cards at Best Buy, Visiontek and BFG lifetime warranties= instant tradeout in store.

You don't even end up paying more if you wait till it goes on sale.

I thought so called lifetime warranty is that the warranty will cover as long as the manufacturer still produce this model. If this model is discontinued, the "lifetime" runs out. Usually 3-year warranty is actually longer than "lifetime".

Only lame slimy ones like PNY that used to try to trick people like that, but even they stopped with that misleading warranty.

Whether warranty length matters also depends upon whether you know you'd sell the card or if it might have some potential future use. The 4850 for example could serve nicely as an HTPC card, heck it even does audio over HDMI. Would it be better than future cards by the time it gets relegated to such duty? Probably not, but might not be worth selling for the same reason. I don't recommend planning for future use like that but sometimes it ends up working out.

It is, and since my Visiontek X850XTPE is kind of dead to them production wise. That lifetime replacement thing is out the window.

My Visiontek card still works good and is in service to this day.

It would suck to buy a lifetime card. Then they drop the production a year later for it. I got over 3 years of lifetime out of my card before they dropped the model.

In that case, a lifetime warranty card is more appealing if you bought it right after it was released so the "lifetime" lasts longer.

Don't get me started on PNY. My 7800gs did crap out (cold bug) an they treated my like crap and wouldn't honor their warranty.

In that case, a lifetime warranty card is more appealing if you bought it right after it was released so the "lifetime" lasts longer.

The card I have is sort of an oddball for video cards. It held the crown for longer then most have plus it had a bit of top dog crown with the AGP for a little past the PCI-e thing / It got a bit of life from ATi/nVidia dragging their feet on supporting AGP for a little longer on faster newer cards.

Two models that has held constant manufacturing prowess... The 9200/9250. I was surprised to see they made them (still). That would of made the lifetime replacement a value to the buyer. That model line is what 5 or six years old now?

EVGA's lifetime warranty really is a lifetime warranty. Several people have gotten g80 series cards as a replacement for their 7900 gts on this very forum.

The card I have is sort of an oddball for video cards. It held the crown for longer then most have plus it had a bit of top dog crown with the AGP for a little past the PCI-e thing / It got a bit of life from ATi/nVidia dragging their feet on supporting AGP for a little longer on faster newer cards.

Two models that has held constant manufacturing prowess... The 9200/9250. I was surprised to see they made them (still). That would of made the lifetime replacement a value to the buyer. That model line is what 5 or six years old now?

9200 is a dumbed down Radeon 8500.

It is, and since my Visiontek X850XTPE is kind of dead to them production wise. That lifetime replacement thing is out the window.

My Visiontek card still works good and is in service to this day.

It would suck to buy a lifetime card. Then they drop the production a year later for it. I got over 3 years of lifetime out of my card before they dropped the model.

It's usually good to read the warranty terms for a given product before spreading FUD:

http://www.visiontek.com/teksupport/warranty/limited_warranty.html

visiontek is an awesome company...visiontek use to be the leading manufacturer for nvidia...they ditched nvidia cuz they are ruthless grub heads, greedy...atleast that was the jist i got from reading...

It's usually good to read the warranty terms for a given product before spreading FUD:

http://www.visiontek.com/teksupport/warranty/limited_warranty.html

Show me .. Instead of accusing me. That I am spreading FUD> I am simply going off what a rep told me on the phone. Or do I have to go out of my way to read a page.. Just to defend myself.

I cannot replace my product. This I was told directly from the company. Not reading from a vague accusation..

The card I own from the company is not produced anymore. They cannot replace the card with the same card. Or repair it. They simply do have the parts to do so.

I must of missed that when I called Visiontek about replacing the stock cooler. I was told by an official company rep, what I was dealing with. So I went out my way to spread FUD...

Now, where is this FUD you speak of? Show me, not just saying it and no proof. All you did was accuse me of FUD and gave one link. Unless your able to adjust or enforce. The terms of the Limited Lifetime Warranty. That Visiontek has for EOL non-production cards.

I did show you via linkage so yes I think you should read the warranty, it's not terribly long or confusing, because it does not mention anything special or different about EOL products "VisionTek Products LLC, (“VisionTek”) is pleased to warrant to the original purchaser (“Warrantee”) of the graphics card (“Product”), that the product will be free from manufacturing defects in material or workmanship for the lifetime of ownership of the product when given normal and proper usage." It does however mention 'modifying,' check the third bullet point in the warranty, which if you replaced the stock cooler, well, there's the answer.

I'm not trying to start a fight but spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) isn't the right thing to do either but your experience with their RMA procedure could be helpful. I think there's more to the story than you're letting on? You didn't mention replacing the stock cooler before..

The fan on the cooler died. That is why I called them direct about replacing it. I was told, by them. I am SOL the card is no longer produced.
I said OK. The card I own from them works great! Just the fan died... Which in a way was a good thing. The stock cooler was loud and not all that good.
No biggie, I got plenty of fun out of it.
I am simply mentioning about the warranty is limited to when they stop producing the card. That you might not have any replacement/repair options. If they keep producing the card. Like I mentioned about the 9200, you have options.

I would of happily accepted another card or some type of fix. I did not push it nor did they offer. I simply called about my card was not working right. They told me on the phone what Lifetime means to them.

They were very polite to me. The card runs great. I am happy owning the card, have been a happy owner for years. They are an alright company in my opinion.

I am implying and did not imply otherwise. That if any card that has a lifetime warranty goes EOL. Your SOL> or can be.

Back