• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Current best thermal paste?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdf_warrior

I think I need to remount my HS on my CPU, my temps are constantly getting higher. I used to idle around 45c and hit about 50-52c at full load. Now, I'm idling closer to 48,49c and at 100% will reach 60c or just over. I believe I used AS5 before, any new recommendations or should I stick with it?

I have been wondering the same thing for a while now. I used to think that Tuniq TX-2 was on the top but now I am not so sure.

I say Tuniq TX-2, IC Diamond 7 and Artic Silver 5 are top three?

ICD7 is about 2*C better than AS5 but ICD7 can be a pain to apply due to how thick it is.... I just use AS5 on EVERYTHING i have had the most repetable good temps out of any other TIM i have tried.

I use Ceramique on everything now. I got a huge tube for when I did my heatsink review and dry ice runs. I am impress how easy it applies and how easy cleanup is, you can literally wipe it off and its basically clean. It isn't conductive, has no break-in time, conducts heat better than AS5 (from what I've seen) and you can get tons for cheap. :)

Tim Consultants TC-0098 .. It's quite unknown but I get excellent temps with it ..

since you first mention this tim in another thread
been looking for it here in USA & can't find :bang head gotta small comp shop & willing to try anything (on my own stuff) ;)

I think I need to remount my HS on my CPU, my temps are constantly getting higher. I used to idle around 45c and hit about 50-52c at full load. Now, I'm idling closer to 48,49c and at 100% will reach 60c or just over. I believe I used AS5 before, any new recommendations or should I stick with it?

Most likely all you need to do is to get temps back to normal is blow the dust out of the HS and case. That's assuming your room's temperature has remained constant.

If temps don't go back to normal after dust removal, then a re-application of your current TIM is in order. A better performing TIM would be needed if the current one has been shown to not work well enough for you, and this appears not to be the case. The best TIM on the market would be needed if you're wanting to maximize an O/C of your system. Most O/C systems are not O/C to their max, and the TIM used is not likely the limiting factor for most who O/C. And so the best TIM is of little use to most since many others will suffice.

I last used AS5 on my HS and one application out lasted my last processor, which I just upgraded after a couple years of use. Now I'm using Stars-700 which works fine for my modest 9.4% O/C. I expect one $2 tube (0.5 gram) of Stars-700 will last me at least 5 years. I only bought it because I lost my last tube of AS5.

Last edited:
Seeing lower temps after changing to a new TIM most likely is due to having cleaned the dust out of your HS and not because the new TIM is that much better than the previous one. You can't tell whether the new TIM you've just tried is any better or worse the the previous one unless you compare each with a clean HS. Dust insulates the HS and thereby inhibits the transfer of heat from the HS to the air, which results in higher CPU temps. A dusty HS can easily account for a 1C to 3C difference when compared to a clean one.

Last edited:
im useing my tube of ceramique right now, im actually getting better temps with this over my as5, but only by about 2-3c, or maybe i lucked out on my application :) even on my gtx it seems to be a tad better. i dont even want to talk about the heat from that card. it sickens me.

im useing my tube of ceramique right now, im actually getting better temps with this over my as5, but only by about 2-3c, or maybe i lucked out on my application :) even on my gtx it seems to be a tad better. i dont even want to talk about the heat from that card. it sickens me.

From what I've read about Ceramique and AS5 (and I've used both), AS5 is marginally better, but likely not enough for most overclockers to even notice. For you to see a 2-3C improvement by switching from AS5 to Ceramique suggests something(s) other than the TIM was responsible. Could have been the removal of dust when you changed to Ceramique. Could have been the AS5 required more time before working optimally. Could have been your old application of AS5 was messed up to begin with (not likely). Ceramique is easier to apply though.

If you havent choose any of thermal compound list above, forget about thoes compound. Go for the mx-2, better cooling than silver5 and it last you up to 8 years. same price as the silver5 but where I got it from, its $2 cheaper than silver5.

Seeing lower temps after changing to a new TIM most likely is due to having cleaned the dust out of your HS and not because the new TIM is that much better than the previous one. You can't tell whether the new TIM you've just tried is any better or worse the the previous one unless you compare each with a clean HS. Dust insulates the HS and thereby inhibits the transfer of heat from the HS to the air, which results in higher CPU temps. A dusty HS can easily account for a 1C to 3C difference when compared to a clean one.
This is important to account for.

However, I'd have to say that for the majority of systems, there's no discernable effect from remounting (due to aged paste and/or dust buildup), so most of the drop in temps can be attributed to a paste difference - see the massive thread on IC7 results somewhere here...

EDIT: IC7 stuff

Back