• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Install on Old Dell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LilBuddy

My sister-in-law gave me her old Dell to clean viruses and spyware off of. There was something like 500 items that were cleaned off. I was thinking I could just delete everything and do a fresh install of Windows on it. I don't have any discs that came with it. I have a copy of Windos XP Pro but I don't want to use my cd key to activate it. The Dell has a Windows key on the side and I was wondering if I could somehow use that key to register it.

Thanks guys!

If your XP Pro is oem it /should/ work. You'll most likely fail activation, and have to call in, but you should be able to use it.

It sucks that you buy a computer with a copy of Windows and you can't really do anything with the Windows once the computer dies.

I found a Dell Windows cd, I'm trying to install it now. If it won't work I guess I'll just use my Windows XP Pro.

Ok, I found a Dell cd with Windows XP Home SP1 and it installed with no problems. It didn't even ask to register or anything.

Back