• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4850 tdr issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardin

I've been trying to figure this out all day but I can't. In every game I'll get the dreaded tdr problem. I've tried the 8.6 hotfix drivers the 8.7 beta drivers and the dna 8.6 drivers but they all have the same problem. I'm going to try the 8.5 drivers now to see if that will fix it, if not I will just have to use my 8800gts until they fix this thing.

Honestly I have no idea. That doesn't helps right? :) (j/k)
I know it's a question for noobs but u cleaned the drivers with drive cleaner right?

Well it was a brand new installation but I always uninstalled the old drivers before installing the new ones.

Does anyone know anything about this? I basically can't use this video card at all until it's resolved. I might just have to take it back and go with nvidia again.

new install of vista?

Yep, this problem was fixed a long time ago. The only crash I see now is when I EXIT a half life 2 based game or mod. Then it gives me an error that the exe failed, but the drivers themselves are fine... No random crashes, no random fails and recovers, that was all fixed a while back.

The only reason you'd still have this problem is leftover remnants of older drivers. If you can't seem to get rid of them, then you need to start from scratch on your OS. It's not solving the problem to just go back to a different brand, it's just avoiding the fix of starting from scratch.

It was a brand new computer and a brand new installation on Thursday and immediately after installing the drivers I was getting it. I don't really see the point in reinstalling vista when it was already a new installation. It happened in every game so I'm using my 8800 gts right now and I haven't had any problems. I'm at the point where I'm going to take it back and go with a gtx 260 unless I get a solution soon.

It was a brand new computer and a brand new installation on Thursday and immediately after installing the drivers I was getting it. I don't really see the point in reinstalling vista when it was already a new installation.

You don't see a point of reinstalling if you're getting an old bug nobody else seems to have anymore? :confused:

You don't see a point of reinstalling if you're getting an old bug nobody else seems to have anymore? :confused:

How did I get it after a new installation? And it's not an old bug that thread is still going on. I don't know what I did wrong that I would get a supposedly old bug that one else gets anymore after building a brand new computer on Thursday that didn't have anything on the drive before then.

what are your system temperatures, internally? It looks like not only is ati having this problem but a few nvidia users too. Or should i rephrase that as many :beer:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=31913&st=440
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=71260

My temps are fine. The Phenom idles at 30, load temp never went above 56. Hdd doesn't go above 37, and I can't tell you the load temps on my 4850 but on the stock fanspeed it didn't go above 80 and I increased the fanspeed to 50 which greatly reduced the idle temps and probably the load temps. I have the 8800 gts in right now and I haven't had any tdr issues. I'm not sure what else I can say other than it must be the ati card.

Did you get service pack 1 for vista? Also if you can maybe try and test if the card works on another rig under xp, it could just very well be just vista and the ati driver not working well with each other, but than why does it work for other people. :eek: But its also possible that card is fuxored... hmm 80 at stock fan speed.. seems almost like every one else. You should really try and test this card under another rig, I think we know it is the card, but not exactly sure what about the card.

edit again
what power supply do you have?

Last edited:
I would try uninstalling the drivers then getting all the updates for vista then try reinstalling them. If its an old problem it could have been fixed in one of the vosta updates.

Did you get service pack 1 for vista? Also if you can maybe try and test if the card works on another rig under xp, it could just very well be just vista and the ati driver not working well with each other, but than why does it work for other people. :eek: But its also possible that card is fuxored... hmm 80 at stock fan speed.. seems almost like every one else. You should really try and test this card under another rig, I think we know it is the card, but not exactly sure what about the card.

edit again
what power supply do you have?

It was an oem service pack 1 vista home premium 64bit so I'm a little hesitant on reinstalling the os because I've heard the oem versions are a little more finicky about reactivation. I don't have any xp computers and my dad seems to be unwilling to put it in any of his computers to test it but I'll keep trying to convince him. This is the power supply that I have. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151028

you say it was a new install of vista, i assume a new install you did? Vista does install basic vid card drivers, they would be old ones.... did you remove and clean all drivers in safe mode..

Back