• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I connect 2 Linksys Wireless Routers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grs

How can I use two Linksys WRT54G wireless routers to connect with each other to connect two groups of PC's?

Can I do it with the stadard firmware or do I need to install DD-WRT?

Wired connection is simple -- just assign the second router a distinct, non-conflicting IP, disable its DHCP and routing, and connect the two via LAN ports.

Wireless router-to-router connection generally needs third-party firmware such as DD-WRT on the second router. See DD-WRT's docs and this thread for more on this: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=570136 .

This feature is very rare in routers with stock firmware, but can be found in a number of off-the-shelf devices. E.g. the D-Link DAP-1522, SMC SMCWEB-N, Linksys WET* series, Netgear WGPS606, and some "wireless gaming adapters". You need to check if the gaming adapters support multiple wired devices though -- many don't.

My cheapo Airlink AR680W Draft-N router does this. I have it running off a WRT54G v3 with HyperWRT.

If you are going to install DD-WRT make sure you read the directions for your specific router version. I bought a WRT54GS and there are complications to installing DD-WRT, so I'm waiting for them to work them out before i install it.

If you are going to install DD-WRT make sure you read the directions for your specific router version. I bought a WRT54GS and there are complications to installing DD-WRT, so I'm waiting for them to work them out before i install it.

Out of all of the Linksys routers, that is the worst one to put DD-WRT on :(. I would find a WRT54G, which is what I have and worked perfectly.

My cheapo Airlink AR680W Draft-N router does this. I have it running off a WRT54G v3 with HyperWRT.

It would be very nice to have an inexpensive draft-n router which also does client mode wireless bridging, but I didn't see that in the Airlink's manual. Will you clarify this further?

It would be very nice to have an inexpensive draft-n router which also does client mode wireless bridging, but I didn't see that in the Airlink's manual. Will you clarify this further?

It doesn't bridge wirelessly - you have to run a cable from your gateway router to this one using one of the switch ports. Assign it a non-conflicting device address (default would be xxx.xxx.xxx.1), disable DHCP and you're off.

It doesn't bridge wirelessly - you have to run a cable from your gateway router to this one using one of the switch ports. Assign it a non-conflicting device address (default would be xxx.xxx.xxx.1), disable DHCP and you're off.

Sure, any router can do this.

Out of all of the Linksys routers, that is the worst one to put DD-WRT on :(. I would find a WRT54G, which is what I have and worked perfectly.

No, the WRT54GS is the exact same as a WRT54G, except that Linksys firmware disables speedboost on WRT54G. Neither version is better than the other for DD-WRT (and DD-WRT will enable speedboost on any WRT54G or WRT54GL). What makes one WRT* better than another is the model revision. WRT54G(S) v5 and up have different stock hardware and/or bootloader that hinders custom firmware install. Any WRT54G(S) v2 to v4 will work just fine, for v1 and v1.1 you need the "vint" version.

No, the WRT54GS is the exact same as a WRT54G, except that Linksys firmware disables speedboost on WRT54G.

No, the WRT54GS has more RAM than the current WRT54G, making it a better choice for a general-purpose router. However, the WRT54GL is still a better choice than either for flashing with third-party firmware, because it has more flash RAM and can support more complex firmware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

The Asus WL-520gU is similar in terms of RAM and flash RAM to the WRT54GL, and is also relatively inexpensive. As it has slightly newer underlying hardware, I'd probably choose that over even the WRT54GL.

That said, while all of this is relevant when running a router as a router, when you're running a router as a wireless bridge, the amount of RAM and flash RAM and the richness of the routing feature set is not as important.

A used WRT54G with a confirmed older revision (translation: works with DD-WRT) can be had from eBay for as little as $20 if you have the time to go through the list.

I did not know you could flash DD-WRT on the AR680W and I have looked extensively, is this truly possible?

Back