• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista Home Premium 64 bit , Install.Wim problem during Installation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brfc

Registered
hi

Today i have built my first pc , specs are

• Q6600
  • Asus PQ5 P45 Pro Mobo
  • 4gb Ram
  • Ati 4850
  • 180gb Hdd, and a 500gb Hdd drive.
  • LG 20x Dvd IDE Re Writer Drive

All went until i came to install Vista, once I enter my Product key this pops up

bhdh7l.jpg

To say i am distraught would be an understatement, i can't believe this is happening tbh. i was very close to buying a Mac, due to Windows being ****, but thought i would give it one last chance before Nehalem.

Please help, :bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head

Make sure you're running the latest BIOS revision, try removing all but 2GB of RAM prior to installing Vista, and check that all BIOS settings are set to their default values (nothing overclocked, all voltages and RAM timings at default, HDD's set to Native IDE and not AHCI, etc.)

Make sure you're running the latest BIOS revision, try removing all but 2GB of RAM prior to installing Vista, and check that all BIOS settings are set to their default values (nothing overclocked, all voltages and RAM timings at default, HDD's set to Native IDE and not AHCI, etc.)

Right pureley for testing reasons, i burned a copy of Vista Ultimate. This started to install, but again falled.

But it got further than the legit copy.:bang head

Right, I have found out my BIOS Need Updating, as they are not the latest version. Also found something for Vista 32/64 bit on the Asus website.

Last edited:
Flashed the BIOS>

Try and Run Vista, and i get this

BOOTMGR Is missing , Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Lost for words, windows are complete cowboys

Last edited:
brfc said:
Right pureley for testing reasons, i burned a copy of Vista Ultimate. This started to install, but again falled. But it got further than the legit copy.
First of all any mention of downloading / installing a warez copy of Windows is NOT tolerated on this forum. Re-read the User Agreement you agreed to when you signed up here.

What were the results of removing 2GB of RAM prior to the install like I suggested? And did you load optimized defaults from the BIOS menu? Re: the legit copy of Vista you're attempting to install, boot to the WinRE (Recovery Environment) Command Prompt following the instructions here...

How to use the Command Prompt in the Vista Windows Recovery Environment
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial147.html

... and run the chkdsk /R C: command from the prompt. Then assuming your other HDD is assigned the drive letter D:, run the chkdsk /R command on that drive too... chkdsk /R D:

If after performing the above the install still fails, try installing from a different optical drive.

Last edited:
Back