• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista 64-bit install issue.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inkfx

Well this is about my 5th or 6th Vista install and I've come across something I haven't seen before. So I get to putting the disc in and sit there and wait for who knows how long before I finally get to format the drive and install Windows. Finally, it gets installing and I come back to the computer about 15 minutes later to find it giving me some error about "Cannot access the installation sources. Verify the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation".

I've tried switching SATA ports on the board, no go. I assume the DVD drive is operating properly since it can begin the install. The HDD, I'm able to format, so I assume that works. Could it be the disc itself? I'm at a loss here.

Q6600
P5K Pro
WD 640GB
G.Skill 8GB 2GB x 4
ATI 4850
PC Power & Cooling 750
LG DVD drive (not sure on exact model but it's fully capable to do whatever)

Well I got my hands on another copy of Vista and it installed fine. I think somehow the DVD drive scratched up this 64-bit disc and now it wont work. There are a bunch of fine scratches on one side of the disc and it was spotless when I took it from packaging. So what do I do now? I need this computer to be set up with 64-bit so the current 32-bit Vista copy wont cut it.

Run down to the local game store and ask them to sell you a cd/dvd resurfacer. Follow directions. They work like a charm.

Back