• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Not Posting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NovaShine

OK, so i grabbed a few new parts lately and i installed it into an old case and power supply.

I put everything together, plug it all in and...
Fans and pump spin up, optical drives light up and my hard disk whirs.

Except, my IDE light stays solid the entire time and i get no display.

Just to list the stuff in my PC as of now:

Intel C2D E8400
Asus P5Q Pro
XFX 9800GTX
2* OCZ 1GB PC2-8500 Reaper
Antec TruePower 550W

Triple checked everything and all the connections and they're all in, so it should post, but it's not. Keyboard isn't lighting up either, so i'm pretty sure it didn't post.

Now there's several things i think that may have gone wrong, though i can't verify it.

If you haven't noticed, i'm using an old power supply. Has a 20 pin ATX power cable instead of the current 24pin, has a 4 pin 12v ATX power cable that goes into the motherboard and doesn't have the 6 pin PCI-E conectors.
So i plugged the 20pin ATX cable in, but it has 4 holes left on the side which hasn't been filled.
To power the video card, i used 2 4 pin molex to 6 pin PCI-E converter.

The case i'm using also doesn't have a case speaker, so my motherboard isnt talking to me.

Can anyone help out?

OK, after waiting a very, very long time and restarting several times, it posted.

No idea why it took so long though, but yea, somewhat solved, though i'm still wondering how an old PSU will hold up to this new motherboard and video card and how it will do when overclocking.

Last edited:
Well, thing is, it's got enough wattage on each rail to support the entire system, so if there's no large downside, i'd just prefer not to waste the money.

"This is the most notable change for the ATX12V standard. PCI Express requires a 75 watt power requirement that was not capable with the older 20-pin connector. To handle this, 4 additional pins were added to the connector to supply the addition power through 12V rails. Now the pin layout is keyed such that the 24-pin power connector can actually be used on older ATX motherboards with the 20-pin connector." http://compreviews.about.com/od/cases/a/ATX12VvATX.htm

"1.2.2. Main Power Connector:
The 2 x 10 main power connector has been replaced by a 2 x 12 connector. This was made to
support 75 watt PCI Express*requirements. Pinout assignments are based on the SSI
recommendation" http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

There is a reason why there are 4 more pins..

hmmm, i guess eventually i'll have to change.

Is there any way to solder mod my old Truepower to fit this standard?

I guess the old names are still good? Antec, Enermax, Sparkle, some RAM manufacturers like OCZ, Corsair, etc?

Back