• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10C difference in load temps from 333 to 400MHz - is it worth it for ~+5% net speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thermodynamic

10C difference in load temps from 333 to 400MHz - is it worth it for ~+5% net speed?

Q6600 G0 stepping
FGigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
8GB RAM (four 2GB Corsair xms2 twin2x4096-6400c4dhx - 4x4x4x12)
Vista64 Ultimate
Seagate SATA 3gb/s, 320GB drive w/16MB cache and NCQ

9x333 = ~33 idle, ~49 Full load (prime95 for 1+ hour, SuperPi (32M calcs))

8x400 = ~40 idle, ~59 full load (ditto)

I always keep A/C on, so ambient room temperature is 21~24C -- and I keep the PC on the opposite side of my desk where it's open air; ideal for air flow and not next to the wall.

I've seen a slight, albeit visible difference in OS load time - especially post-login when the sidebar and taskbar icons load. For Vista, that's really nice. Even if it appears faster...

Games and apps don't seem visibly faster, but then I use my PC primarily for photoshop, ultra fractal, and truespace 7.6 anyway.

Also, given this mobo, the north bridge - without adding a fan onto that heatsink, can I do 400MHz stable without overheating the chip to malfunction or destruction? (So far it's been stable, thanks mostly to passive cooling from a nearby powerful output fan) There's plenty of space between the northbridge heatsink and the CPU/output fans, of which I'll describe in a moment. Everest and the BIOS say the mobo temp is 42C under load, but I doubt that's indicative of the chip itself.

My CPU uses a Zalman 9700, I have a Silverstone FM121B (122mm) fan behind it to push air out, and in the case front I have two 120mm stock fans blowing air in. The case is an Antec 900 and is large. The three Seagate drives (non-RAID) average 40C temps, and they are housed under the input cooling fans and are well away from the motherboard.

As always, thank you for reading and any advice you might offer. :)

try keeping 9 times multiplier and increasing the mhz...

Won't that affect the PCI and PCIe buses; risk damaging or destroying those components? I do have a spare 8800 video card, but going over those values creeps me out; hence going along 'official' FSBs only...

Back