• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from old H60 for i9 9900ks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would leave the exhaust on even at lower temps...maybe even flip the rear fan to intake so it blows in the direct of the VRMs and gets exhausted by the fans/AIO on top.

That H370 board has few phases and a tiny heatsink on it... I would get some spot cooling to prevent the throttling and lower the temps.

Good call on the rear fan, I hadn't considered that.

It now only throttles after 4+ minutes of stress test at full load, and I'm not seeing it occur at all during normal gaming sessions. Just need to grab a dust filter for the rear fan and I think it'll be good.

Ideally, it shouldn't be throttling at all. That board isn't handling the chip very well. You've got the highest end overclocking CPU in a budget board that doesn't overclock.

EEK I didn't notice that was an h370. Looking at the image from the Asus webpage, it looks like there are some mosfets that don't even have a heatsink on them. They might not be the vcore mosfets, but I would still prefer to see them sinked. These are not cheep but would do the trick https://www.amazon.com/Enzotech-Mosfet-Passive-Copper-10-Pack/dp/B00P87G1NU?th=1. It appears that each phase has a high and low fet, so you'll be putting two on for each phase. The mosfets are the tiny square chips that are behind (relative to the socket) the large cubes (called chokes or inductors) which are in turn (relative to the socket) behind the capacitors (look like little tin cans). The areas outlined in orange contain the ICs that need a HS. Be careful that the heatsink does not touch other components when mounting.
h370.png

It appears the other mosfets have an actual heatsink, but you could experiment with replacing that with the enzotech heatsinks as well, since it is a little small. Finally you're going to need a fan blowing down on the area. The liquid cooling is good for the CPU but it means no extra airflow for the components surrounding the socket.

For best results a new motherboard is advised, but this is what you can do to try to fix the problem on the current board if you desire.

Back