• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard disk problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asoktulsi

Hi ,
Three MOnths Back i bought a PC for me , I am a Graphics Designer and mostly i am using 3D softwares like 3Ds max and Maya and a Drafting software ( AutoCAD ) ,I am doing some freelance work within my home, My processor is Intel Quad Core 6600 ( 2.4Ghz ) and i installed 4Gb RAM and nvidia Graphics card, with 500GB SEAGATE BRACCUDA (SATA) Hard drive, upto last week , it was functioning perfectly and i was so happy with my PC, Some days back i got a problem , i was using it well and i got a call and i had to go to my office and then i shut down and went out and i came back after one hour and i tried to BOOT my computer , But its showing that " BOOT DISK FAILURE, PLEASE INSERT BOOT DISK AND PRESS ENTER" I checked the status on the BIOS and there its not showing the HARD DRIVE, and i tried to chnage the option to automatically detect hard drive, but its not showing and detecting ,I called the technician and he is telling that my HARD DRIVE is dead and I need to change the Drive to a newer one, but my prob is that i have some huge data in my Hard Drive and its so precious to me, Its really valuable to me , so i need to recover it any how, is it possible to get all that data... PLz give me what i need to do and is there anychance for me to get all that data back...
Plz give the informations or any one can help me, plz contact me on 6658795, or is there any one doing this as their profession, so i can contact them... plz help me
Thanking you friends
Toni

Wrong Section.

Check cabling, if nothing got loose.
Try connecting sata cable to different sata port.

Is the drive spinning?

:welcome: to the forums.

First, its not a good idea to list your contact information like that. I would probably edit that out.

Second, if what meionm suggested doesnt help, you may need to install a new drive and add the bad drive as a non boot drive. Its possible you may be able to access the data that way.

Also, after you rebuild your machine you can try connecting the bad drive via USB, assuming you get an external case.

If both those fail, your only recourse may be to send it away to a data recovery company. The cost depends on how bad the drive is, can range between $300 - over $1500.

:welcome:

Yes, it sounds like the drive may have went bad. Try all of the above such as using a differen't SATA port, trying hooking it up through a USB drive externally.

Easy way to tell is just listen to see if it kicks on and is spinning when the computer boots.

One other option is that your boot order was messed up. Do you have any other drives installed on the machine? Make sure your CD/DVD drive is your first boot device, and that you have nothing in the drive, and then put the HDD as your second device (all this is done VIA BIOS).

If the drive isn't showing up in the BIOS and checking the cables, moving the SATA cable to another port doesn't work you may want to consider getting another 500GB SEAGATE BRACCUDA (SATA) and changing the pcb (the electronics) from the new drive to the old drive and see if it will spin up. If it spins up and BIOS sees the drive you may be able to get your data off of it. Because the drive has failed in the past I would not trust it other than to get my data off of it. Once you get your data then put the pcb back on the new drive.

This has worked for me in the past quite a few times and is cheaper than sending the drive off to a data recovery company that will charge you a lot of money.

HTH

My drive is already spinning , and it have click sound from that , but that sound is not new, i have that sound from the start time onwards..

Back