• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to resize c drive with vista64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

calaveraOC

Registered
acronis disk director latest version which supports vista64 doesnt work.

I have a harddisk partitioned into two drives. c and d.
c has the vista64 o/s. I'm trying to reduce d and add that to c.

but for some reason it wont allow it. :confused:
can anyone help me? I dont want to have to format :(

What doesn't work with Acronis, any error messages? Any other indications of where or why its failing?

Anything you have to go on could help me.

Does Acronis have an option to run from a bootable disc? I have found with disk management options like this, they often play nicer when running outside of windows.

Partition Magic is a program I have used for this before, tho it had quirks. You might want to look into the gparted livecd - I would use that for partition resizing if the vista disc management didn't cut it, but I would first look into whether or not theres anything special to know about vista64. According to this thread, it should work fine, tho you may need to do a repair to cleanup your work:
http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?pid=4968

Last edited:
Fortunately, you don't need Acronis OR Partition magic for Vista.

Simply use disk management (right click Computer in the start menu, hit manage, go to disk management) and you can resize the partitions from there.

Download a uBuntu/kBuntu/Linux Mint cd > burn > boot without installing > Partition Editor

Beauty about Linux is that you don't have to install to access the whole OS and its programs. And if anything happens you can always boot from Linux and change what you need.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors - Select the closest Mirror to you enjoy.

Ugh. Again, you don't need to do any of that crap -- it's already built into the Vista operating system. You can shrink and expand partitions on the fly.

Why do people purposefully make their life more difficult?

Ugh. Again, you don't need to do any of that crap -- it's already built into the Vista operating system. You can shrink and expand partitions on the fly.

Well if he doesn't have a Linux Live cd then I would still suggest he get one for emergency. I killed my XP when I felt like messing with the themes and replaced a file with a bad one, ended up with explorer crashes every time I clicked or right-clicked anything.

EVERYONE should have a Linux disc just in case as you never know when windoze could do something to itself lol.

[EDIT]

You can extend C drive, as long as the Free space is next in line so to speak...

since i had

C Drive - 17G
D Drive - 250
Free 35G space

i couldn't do it..

i deleted the D drive so i had one 280G free space and then i could extend C drive

I'm guessing the built in tool didn't work or he wouldn't be looking elsewhere?

Or he has never used Vista and didn't know that shrink / expand is there? It hasn't existed in any other version of the windows operating system until this point.

Well if he doesn't have a Linux Live cd then I would still suggest he get one for emergency. I killed my XP when I felt like messing with the themes and replaced a file with a bad one, ended up with explorer crashes every time I clicked or right-clicked anything.

EVERYONE should have a Linux disc just in case as you never know when windoze could do something to itself lol.

Tell me something that a WindowsPE disc can't do for a b0rked Windows install where a Linux CD could?

And Vista has far better recovery functionality built into it than XP directly from the install media. Here's an example: you can't do system restores from the XP install CD, but you can from Vista. You couldn't get to a dos prompt (and subsequently, to the underlying file system on the hard drive) from the XP install CD either, but you can from Vista.

Maybe there are just a few more things in Vista than some of you realize?

You could used gpartd. Get the bootable version of it or just go burn an ubuntu live cd(has it included and a gui).

Or he has never used Vista and didn't know that shrink / expand is there? It hasn't existed in any other version of the windows operating system until this point.

Yup as was my case, i didn't know it existed until your post, out of the million vista "whats new" articled i had read, not one every mentioned this feature.

I will be testing it out tomorrow - will let you know how it goes.

You couldn't get to a dos prompt (and subsequently, to the underlying file system on the hard drive) from the XP install CD either,

first recovery option gets you into dos if you choose it...?

Mr.Guvernment's testing is pretty accurate. Vista's extend function is not that sophisticated. The free space must lie next to the partition you wish to expand.

XP can do almost the same, for non-system partitions.

The built in partition tool in windows vista is terrible, it's a huge gamble everytime you do it. Go ahead and try to do it from vista, I bet you'll be undoing it from a linux disk later.

I don't think you guys realize the utilities for disk management availible to Linux. On more than one occassion I've had to use a linux disk to completely UNFORMAT computers, resize partitions to be smaller than the current data it holds while simotaniously moving the extra date to a seperate partition. You can even change filesystems completely without harming the data on the previous filesystem

Using any partitioning software (GParted, PM, Acronis, Vista, etc.) is a gamble when there's data present on the drive, which is why it's always important to back up any valuable information that you can't afford to lose.

well, I knew about the vista disk management and obviously I tried that. It wouldn't allow me to resize c drive (make it bigger). which is why I tried to use other programs. I'm not a big fan of these programs either, but I didn't have a choice.

c drive : 40 gigs, 3 gigs free space
d drive: 100 gigs, 20 gigs free space

Anyways, I'm going to try the format d drive, then expand c with vista disk management again. if all fails, I'll try the other options you guys listed. thanx again.

If you are getting rid of the D drive, don't format it, remove it. Otherwise it is not "free" space

Back