• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X64 Ultimate installed, want to doul boot X32

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

X64 Ultimate installed, want to doul boot X86

Simple I think, any issues to be aware of? I have X64 Ultimate installed and want to put on X86.

Someone mind simplifing the steps to make it flawless?
I would prefer to keep them both on the same drive.

Last edited:
Why would you do both? I have yet to have an issue even with the "throw together" XP 64bit.

Running Vista 64bit Ultimate now with no issues at all, have been for awhile.

well, neither have I....until Gametap refuses to let me play ANY game cause it wont launch the game with X64

That is quite odd, haven't heard of any issues.

Is this a known issue they refuse to fix? I assume you ran it in compatibility mode (this has saved a few things :))?

That is quite odd, haven't heard of any issues.

Is this a known issue they refuse to fix? I assume you ran it in compatibility mode (this has saved a few things :))?

yeah, its nothing that can be worked around. there encryption/wrapper is not compatible (there license requires the wrapper) and they refuse to allow you to even download the games.

temp solution is to play the games on my laptop, but I prefer the larger screen :p

Oh, I understand then. Not sure if you have tried it (your post was vague), but go through EVERY ".exe" file and change the compatibility...that is probably a last ditch effort on your part.

I would also suggest contacting the company and see if there is a "workaround" or something they can do to get it to run.

Other than that, all you need to do is partition a space when you install the first OS and then use the remaining space with the second install. You will not need to do a boot manager at all, Vista actually comes with one that does work! :eek:

ok so I have X64 installed, I make a partition on the primary drive and then just slap the disk in and install it on the new partition? Built in bootloader will ask me which one to run?

If you do not want to do that (I can understand why) EDIT: Not referncing the post 1 minute before me, cuz i took more then 60 seconds to write this post it was not there)
best bet is just to make judicious use of the wonderful invention on mst modern motherboards. A single key shortcut to bootmenu. (For instance my HTPC has an intel board and they IDIOTICALLY made it F8 so booting into safe mode always takes longer then it should) EDIT: Just realized from mentioned above post.. if you do not have another HDD, then yah just try the x86 install and be prepared to run recovery console and then do some boot ini editting/fixboot

Normally I suggest installing 32 then 64 bit to get hte boot menu options since the X64 installer can launch x86 but not vica versa

so install on seperate hdds and do it with a button press when you want to gametap.

(go into bios change HDD boot order, instll x86 change it back when done)

You can try from there editting your boot.ini on your x64 install to include hdd1 partition1 windows X86 blah blah blah... as an option. If somehow this prevent x64 from running (it shouldnt cause you are not changing default, just adding x86) Vista includes a recovery console so if it does not work you can easily boot back up and fixboot in the RC.

also i think pronetworks has a device that will do this all automatically for you.. but not 100% sure I leftthere a long time ago. (right before they got all nutty and did those inline ads and stuff and advertising posts)

okay, one thing I can add. I actually have 2 other HDD's installed but I use them for data files and the such, to do what you saying I would have to format the whole hdd or could I make a partition on one of the other HDD and work that way?

i have xp32 and vista 64 on my hdd all i did is i partitioned my drive with partition magic and installed a os on each partition and now when i start my computer it asks me which os i want to boot just make sure when you make the partition you set both to primary

Back