• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New DD Case !! OMG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardup

Registered
blackseriesdoublewide1ux0.gif

Not on site yet, but they are taking orders =) The one as pictured is $399.95

Looks like mounting for 2 4x120 rads and a 120.3 rad minimum. I dunno, if you wanted to use the bigger 4x120 rads it's pretty damn nice.

$400 = scam...

what makes it worth $400 the fact it has FAR too many DD"s all over it?

that thing prob took them 5 mins to make in a mill to cut out the panels and DD's and done!

this is one of those "your paying for nothing but the name"

If I really wanted to spend $400 on a case, I could get a better one customized from MountainMods.

EDIT: After looking at it some more... If it is really $400 as pictured, then it is a total POS not worth even $200.

• As Moto7451 said, the rad placement is, to put it nicely, stupid. If you're using water-cooling, and you have half of the case free for the equipment, put it all on that half. Don't toss half of it on top of the motherboard.
  • The opposite side looks like it has spots for 80mm fans. Why in the heck, with a case so "customized", would you even think about using 80mm fans when you have so much room to place 120mm fans?!
  • Where the heck are the hard drive bays? With the motherboard located in the middle, that gives a full half of the case that could be loaded with enough drives to fill up an Areca 1260 or 1280 series controller. With a case with that much room, I want drive bays for a 16/24 drive RAID 50 or 60 array.
  • I'm not paying that much to have a clone army of DD logos on my case.

Last edited:
Seems like a nice case. What doesn't make sense is, if you're going to use a 3x120mm rad mount on the left side, why the 4x120 rad mounting spot isn't on the right side (when looking at it from the front as we are) side panel area. The case is divided in half as it stands and it only makes sense to keep your WC gear there. Airflow obviously isn't the reason why the 4x120 is there since it'll never touch the motherboard/components area and it's not like the rear 4x120 isn't going to pull the warm air just fine even if the front rad isn't pointed at it.

Instead they should have a lot more drive bays, either where the 3x120 is or the 4x120. I could see someone building a network server in that thing with a massive amount of drives.

$400 = scam...

what makes it worth $400 the fact it has FAR too many DD"s all over it?

that thing prob took them 5 mins to make in a mill to cut out the panels and DD's and done!

this is one of those "your paying for nothing but the name"

yup, i bet that's about $40 in materials at the most maybe not even that..

my guess is they got some sort of water jet that will cut plastic nicely and want to recoup the cost of the machine ?

most likely, sure they have most of the parts for making alot of their blocks, but either way, your a sucker to buy this case, any local plastics man could make you this case for prob sub $200.

Guess im a sucker, but in all honesty the same could be said for any $400 MM case couldnt it be ? I think so.

Cut some metal, put a nice coating on it and viola. That I can do, cutting acrylic is something I know nothing about.

^^basically. Mountainmods cases could be cut on a water jet pretty easily...

I bet HDD mounting will be similar to MM as well...

Metal, especially Aluminum is expensive. Acrylic is not. :D.

What you're paying for in either case is for craftsmanship. I don't think this case is a rip off per se. It should be cheaper to compete with Mountain Mod's base model UFO case which retails for $280 and offers more in terms of expandability. Most people wouldn't run two 120x4 rads and a 120x3.... actually make that nobody :D.

A mountain mod case holds two PSUs, tons of drives and two or three radiators depending on how you feel like configuring your system. Heck, my on the cheap double case has more room for expansion than the DD case even if I took out half my drive bays to hold an additional rad. If I felt like being crazy I could remove my left side case's drive bays and mount four rads, one top, one bottom, and one on the front and back.... all while having more drive bays....

That said, it's all dependent on what you feel like doing. Some people bought G5/Mac Pro cases to put their computers in because they like the aesthetics. Thideras just spent $300 on airbrushing alone to make the case he wanted. If this case fulfills the needs of it's user, then it's a good buy.

Well the case can be made to order, im placeing my order tomorrow and it will have 4 drive bays on the front, two upper left and right, with 3 3x120 rads in it. Two mounting in the front under the drive bays and one on the back side. So four drive bays, three 3x 120 rads and the acrylic look that I wanted =)

Im just happy more and more options are starting to come along and mainstream companies are seeing the need to make these types of products. Until this case, it was custom or MM.

Back